stand rocking

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by JJK, Apr 1, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

So I just got my new aquarium and stand today, and I notice that the stand rocks a bit on the hardwood floor. The aquarium is also not perfectly level. I am guessing that my floor is not perfectly flat. What do you guys recommend I do? Should I put something under the tank or stand?

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

well as its the 2nd of April where I am, Im going to assume this is not a ruse?

Yes - you need to make sure your tank is both level and secure

you need to shim up (put strips of wood) under the legs ( the legs that are not touching the floor) and when it is stable - does not rock - fill with water and check level

a decent layer of polysyrene between tank base and stand is also a good idea - as this will compensate for any slight uneveness

4. Strickland_673

Strickland_673 Fire Shrimp

I have my tank stand on carpet at the moment and i use cardboard underneath to get it level. try using shims of wood, like they use in door frames to get the doors level?

hopefully this helps

5. PDCCO

PDCCO Feather Duster

Do not try and level the tank by placing something between the tank and the stand!

Depending on the stand and how handy you are, either shim the stand (I use cardboard if the gap is not too large) or if you are able and this is a permenant location trim the base of the stand.

6. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Home Depot sells composite shims (like plastic)--They work great-- just slide em in and break them off--they break alot cleaner than the wood ones

7. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

Thanks guys. I'll give that a try!

8. Click Here!

9. salsalito25

salsalito25 Stylophora

If your tank sways or rock's while you walk in the room .... You may want to check the floor you may have to reenforse your floor from undernieth...(my spelling sucks today, i am not smarter than a 5th grader...)

along with the above posted