Stand placment

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Jason McKenzie, May 16, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Hi all,
    I thought I would ask a few question about what I could do different to my tank set up now that I am starting over.
    1) the tank currently sits on carpet. would you think it would be better to cut the capet away lay some padding and then finish a 1/4 inch piece if plywood with some nice tile to lay on top, making sure its level and all.
    2) My sump is custom built acrylic do you think I should take this op to add some baffles and convert it to a refugium?
    3) If you had to start again could you think of anything you would do to your set up that you can't do with it up and running.

Thanks
    Jason

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

1) What kind of floor is it? Wood? Concrete?
    - If you are cutting the carpet out and laying padding, you may as well leave the carpet in my opinion.

I believe manufacturers recommend not having padding. At least between the tank and the stand. Perhaps this applys to the floor too. Since you have had them on the phone lately, I would ask them next time.

2) Definitely.

3) I would make sure I had it in a place I was comfortable with and possibly have room enough to hide ballasts, etc. Too noisy where it was? May be time to move it.

Any water lines nearby? If so you could always hook up your R.O. to them and run a float switch off your sump. When you don't have to deal with evaporation anymore, everything is easier.

:)