Stand Height and Stability?

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Zgetman, Jul 29, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Zgetman

Zgetman Ritteri Anemone

I am debating on building a stand for my 55g tank. The dimensions are 48 x 12 x 20. I want my stand to be 34 inches tall, but I don't know if the stand would be to top heavy. Does anyone have any suggestions on this? I plan on putting a 20-30 gallon sump in the stand also. If this is going to be to top heavy, is there a way to stablize it? Any drawings would help greatly as I am a visual learner.

2. Click Here!

3. OnlyTono

OnlyTono Spaghetti Worm

You could anchor the stand to the wall with a simple cleat, and a few long bolts anchored to studs. With a stand of that height, it would be a good idea - especially if you have any little ones running around. ::)

Here's a basic drawing I put together:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Mine is 31.5" and a little low for my taste. Make sure you build the stand wide enough front to back to fit a 40 gallon tank INSIDE once the 2x4s are constructed inside.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  5. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Unless there is some side ways force on the tank/stand, and/or not level anyways, it should be fine. the anchoring thing is always an opotion. With the force of the weight of the DT, unless the stand is not stable, it would take a great force to put the CG outside the base- (falling over) - in other words, once full of water/rocks- it should be fine.

1 person likes this.
  6. Dcerzan

Dcerzan Astrea Snail

I built a stand for my 65 gal tank that is 42" tall and it would take a truck to pull it over

1 person likes this.
  7. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

My 125G is 40" or 42" on the stand. All I did was make the base a few inches wider by using thick trim around the bottom.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Zgetman

Zgetman Ritteri Anemone

My worry is with the tank being to narrow it will be unstable and if my 2 year old pushes on my tank that it will tip over.

The anchor bolts are a good idea, and I will probably do that. But I have another quick question. How wide can I build my stand to accommodate my 55g tank. I have read that the legs should hold the weight, but if I make it to wide it the legs wouldnt be directly under it.

Am I just over thinking this or are these valid concerns?

10. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Don't forget, the tank when filled will weigh over 500 lbs. Plus if you have anything in the sump, that will make it that much more stable. I will measure my stand for my 55 tonight, but I bet it is around the same height. I don't think I could push it over if I tried!

Now my JBJ 28 on the other hand, that one I could push over ;)

1 person likes this.
  11. Zgetman

Zgetman Ritteri Anemone

awesome, thank you marshall O.

12. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

My four year old stand on the ledge and hangs on to the little feeder door to feed the fish. If it's level the weight of the tank and sump will weigh it down.