staghorn question

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by krisleo, May 10, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. krisleo

krisleo Astrea Snail

so in my sps frag tank I have a bright green stag with blue tips. the first week or two the polyp extension was great, but I now it's been in the tank close to a month and I've noticed a slight decrease in the polyp extension, and it's retracted sometimes. I can't really think of any reasoning for it, my params are spot on and all my sps are having fantastic growth. I've read some where that sometimes when the polyps are retracting a little bit it's because the coral may be growing? but I'm not sure. I've thought of maybe putting it in a spot with more flow, maybe higher up? but I'm not sure if that would help either. any insight would be great!

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Polyps may not be out as much because the coral is getting plenty of light and does not need the polyps to gather as much food or there may be plenty of food available and it is feeding more often and you are seeing the results of the feeding. It may not like the flow it is getting also.

4. krisleo

krisleo Astrea Snail

that makes sense, it's definitely getting more light in my tank then it was at the LRS, thanks for the reply :)