Stacking live rock

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by ParrotFish, Dec 2, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ParrotFish

ParrotFish Plankton

Hello,

I am very new to reefing. I just got a 46 gallon tank the other day. Right now my tank has 43 lbs of live rock in it. I have an in tank skimmer, and I want to hide the equipment from view the best I can. As such, I have stacked some of the live rock on top of each other to create a tunnel and a higher wall to mask part of the skimmer. I added sand to my tank after I placed the bottom rocks, to help with stability once I introduce fish into the tank. My LFS told me that this stacking was okay, but I wanted to see other's opinions. I heard that there is aquarium glue, would you recommend this to stop the rocks from falling and crushing fish/coral once I eventually add them into the tank?

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. Salmo salar

Salmo salar Flamingo Tongue

You could try Marine Depot or Bulk Reef Supply, they both sell reef safe epoxies that cure under water. You might take care as some epoxies get very hot while curing. If the rock were dry I would say drill it and peg it together with acrylic dowels.

4. FishThumb

FishThumb Astrea Snail

I've got my rocks stacked 3 layers high. As long as its stable, you don't need to fasten then together.

5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

It's really up to you whether you want to glue them together or leave loose. The chances of a rock falling and killing anything is not very high. If you do glue them together, you'll be limited in terms of rescaping and such which is actually a kind of relaxing activity :)

1 person likes this.
  6. Salmo salar

Salmo salar Flamingo Tongue

Couldnt agree more. I like to rearrange things now and then too. If I were trying to hide a skimmer or make an overhang id probably drill it. You can always take the drilled and doweled pieces apart as well.