Stabilize Alk remedy, good or not?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Bob F, Oct 20, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bob F

Bob F Bristle Worm

I think I found a solution to stabilizing my Alk for now but would like your opinions if this is a good remedy or is there potential problem? I am simply dripping Kalkwasser but I cannot get the dripper to a drip slow enough (without stopping) to match my evaporation rate so I am dripping all (3/4 gal) of it overnight but tank evaporates about 3/4gal during a 24 hr day. More specifically my tank evaporates about 3/4gal to a gallon a day. I am dripping all 3/4gal all over night so putting in an approximate extra quart of Kalk water by moring but by time I get home from work that night it should be equal. The only things I can think that could be concern is the PH and Salinity. I think an extra quart of Kalc RODI water would have minimal impact on salinity for a total volume of 80 gallon system but really unsure of the PH. I do not have any of those fancy controllers or PH probes yet to constantly monitor. So would the extra quart of Kalk water cause a spike towards the morning to draw a concern? I do not want to run the Kalk in my ATO becuase it operates so smoothly now and do not want the build up to cause clogging and fouling the ATO. I just would rather keep seperate. My system only has softies and some LPS and understand probably would need a more robust dosing system when I go to SPS someday. thank you

2. Click Here!

3. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

4. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

By the way what is your alk reading? What's target number? I'm at 8 and working mid 9 to 10. But I also meds to manage my calcium and mag at same time. They work together.

5. Bob F

Bob F Bristle Worm

I went down to 5.6dkh but with Part 2 dosing slowly got up to 8.5dkh then this Kalk seems to keep it at this mark pretty consisent. During this I see my calcium and Mg staying consistent so happy here. When I tried to push a little higher I saw my mg and calcium drop a little. I see no need to go higher as i think this is high enough espcially with other parameters being stable. I used all the calculators as you suggested but my hardest part was trying to figure out how much my tank uses up on a daily basis. The 2 part as you are doing is another alternative but just liked slower consistent application of the delivery of the kalk.

6. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

The only things I can think that could be concern is the PH and Salinity.

The kalk should help raise ph. At night is when you would need that, if you need it. PH tends to drop at night due to increased co2 from plants. The kalk should help stabilize that.
    For the salinity, you could measure SG at different times and see if you can live with the fluctuation.

7. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

The plants? you mean Macroalgae? IMHO- this should be lighted at night/ ~opposite the DT lights.

I do a similar Kalk drkip daily now with my system that's at least 260g WV.
    My DIY ATO is seperate.
    I use an IV roller slide adjuster and drip in about a gallon on RO/DI with ~ 60ml of Vinegar (buffers the Kalk and allows more to be absorbed), and ~ 25-30ml/cc of Kalwasser.
    Doing this has kept my system pretty stable.
    No pumps, no sensors, no controller, no timers, no probes, etc.

I really don't test for Ph- basically never- I so have an API test kit for it though.
    I test my Alk every week to two, and my Ca+ and Mg about once a month.
    Things are well doing it this way for my system.

I think it's a good idea for you too

8. Click Here!

9. Bob F

Bob F Bristle Worm

Thanks for feedback. Todd, Ironically, I seem to have similar system and same regiment as you except my system is more than than half the gallons as yours. Down to your listed skimmer, DIY ATO, Cheato to how test everything. I even only test PH with API once in awhile. I have been working towards eventually geting some SPS but want to get good handle on my system before I get there. I think I am even ordering the similar lights you have but haven't quite decided yet. BTW, i do run my lights on cheato only during night with a 6500k 23watt bulb. Are you saying even with your SPS you still do not need to dose and only use the Kalk drip?

10. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Basically yea, that's what I'm saying.
    I dose with a Kalk drip! With an occasional/usually monthly WC, the Mg seems to stay in check.
    I have manually dosed some Mg on occasion though too.- Seemingly randomly.
    My Alk hovers around 8-9ish. The Calcuim is usually at least 420'+, and the Mg 1400+.
    I have many sps, and some VERY big colonies too.
    It seems to me that as long as you can keep things in a range, without too drastic of swings- things grow well.
    I'm not so sure that all levels have to stay rock solid however, as long as its an acceptable range and no drastic swings.

11. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

What's a kalk drip?
    ***runs away embarrassed I have to ask***

Billme likes this.
  12. Bob F

Bob F Bristle Worm

Ballgame, basically it is a slow drip of kalkwasser solution (saturated limewater). If you search Kalkwasser to help maintain calcium and alk, there is hundreds of threads. Sorry, I am not good at inserting links. I believe Bulkreefsupply has a very good video of how to mix and several different ways to drip it into the tank. Many just put it in there an ATO as a means to get it into the tank. It gives a good balance of calcium and alk when applied correctly.

Ballgame likes this.