Squasmosa Clam Question...

Discussion in 'Clams' started by Stingray, Apr 12, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Stingray

Stingray Blue Ringed Angel

Hi,
    Recently i bought this beautifull clam, its doing great and opened up nicely, the hermits have knocked the clam so it now lies against the glass, i have noticed the underside of the clam has ejected some sticky strands to grab hold of the glass, i gather this is how it secure's itself, but i want to move it how do i get it to de-attach and is it safe to just prize it off?

Thanks...

2. Click Here!

3. rayjay

rayjay Gigas Clam

Years ago when I first got mine, I had to very carefully cut the strands right at the rock it was fastened to, in order to move it. I was told that you can cut too close to the clam and it will die.
    Being fastened to glass, I would use a new blade in a razor scraper and remove it that way.
    I then placed it in a large clam shell (food kind) and it adhered to that and I was able to move it at will.
    Well, at least for a while. The darn clam grew so fast and so large it became a huge problem for me.
    Even sitting on the bottom of the sixty five g tank, it would shoot about a half cup of water out of the tank, or up onto the lights.
    Eventually it when it got to be about 18" long, it would be able to shoot out about a cup of water.
    I had a hard time selling it because not many are looking for such a large clam around where I am.

1 person likes this.
  4. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Yeah, squammies are cool clams. If you want to move it, rayjay's advice about the byssal tissue is spot on. A razor to the glass or other thing it is attached to is the best method, but be sure to cut it as far away as possible.

1 person likes this.
  5. Stingray

Stingray Blue Ringed Angel

Thanks karma to you both...

6. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

If your nervous about the razor, you could try RO icecubes to get the foot to detatch.

~Will.