squamosa lighting

Discussion in 'Clams' started by t4zalews, Mar 28, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. t4zalews

t4zalews Flamingo Tongue

I have a squamosa clam coming on tuesday. My lighting is 2x150W 14K HQI with 4x39W actinics. Currently I have 2 derasas on the sandbed doing great, 2 maximas 15" from the lights doing great. Can I place the squamosa on the sandbed(~24 in. from the lights), or do I have to place him higher on the rocks? for the sake of it I'll give parameters...Ca=460, Po4=0,no3=0,dkh=10, sg=1.025, UV and carbon are ran for water clarity.

2. Click Here!

3. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

You should be ok, they are one of the least light demanding clams.

4. rayjay

rayjay Gigas Clam

Make sure you have a lot of space for it as mine went from 3" shell length to it's present 12" shell length (16" with open mantle) in about 5 years, and just under NO fluorescent lamps.

5. jimw369

jimw369 Fire Shrimp

No T5s?:confused:

6. rayjay

rayjay Gigas Clam

No T-5's over that clam.
    It used to be in a 90g with 8 normal output fluorescent lamps on timers to stagger the lighting intensity, but for the last few years it has been in a 65 with 6 NO fluorescent lamps. 90g sprung a leak and had to move everything to the 65 which was the only empty tank I had at the time.

7. t4zalews

t4zalews Flamingo Tongue

Clam is doing well on the sandbed...full mantle extension and great colors...my water quality is also very prestine, will look even better when I get the 250W's with the new upgrade coming soon