Sps problem

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by saltydogg, May 22, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. saltydogg

saltydogg Bristle Worm

So I now have a pretty much SPS dominant tank.. well I got some new corals shipped & I got stuck @ work so I couldn't acclimate the way I normally do... needless to say some were pretty stressed & I even lost 1 or 2... :mad:

My question is though: I have a good sized mini mother colony of rainbow pocillopora :D & its bleaching in the center, can I do anything to stop the bleaching or am I stuck cutting small frags? Thanks in Advance for any help..
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  2. Click Here!

3. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I had an Acropora humilus frag lose tissue rapidly hours after I introduced it from shipping. I fragged it a few times and most of it pretty much deteriorated. Luckily, 3 coralites survived the episode, so I still have something to work with. It will take some time, but it should come back for me.

Sorry, I don't know how that helps you.

Is yours bleaching or losing tissue?

4. saltydogg

saltydogg Bristle Worm

Well I say bleaching but I guess it is losing tissue... I mean when I first put it in tank is when the white (in pic) happened.. literally could watch my polyps float away...:(
    I do have to say though it doesn't look like its rapidly getting worse & I just moved it in the tank & no floating away polyps.. :D but I've heard it will proceed to die till you frag... idk! :confused:

5. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Yeah. It sounds like you are looking at bare skeleton and not discolored tissue then. The advice given to me was to to wait. Then the next day, when it appeared to get worse, I was advised to go ahead and frag. If it doesn't look to be getting any worse, I would suggest letting it sit idle for a bit. Like mine, it may have been injured in shipping and not caused by disease. In that case, fragging may not be immediately necessary.

6. saltydogg

saltydogg Bristle Worm

Thank you..I don't know what caused it..I can only guess stress from everything.. I've been watching closely & dosed it a little with Red Sea reef energy & spot feed... & it seems to be holding its own for now... I hope it does because its 1 of my favorites.. its my profile pic..

7. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

That's good. It's a really neat piece. It kind of reminds me of a Big southern oak with moss hanging from it (polyps are quite bushy). Maybe give yourself a little extra time in the morning before work just in case it looks worse and you need to frag. That's what I ended up doing. The Acropora humilis was my favorite too and a piece I had been wanting for awhile. It was a pretty nice sized frag for $6, especially considering they go for $80 on some sites.

Here was mine:

[​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. saltydogg

saltydogg Bristle Worm

Nice!! I think I will try to make that time in morning.. I've been so busy @ work, & im so glad it hasn't been doing to bad or I Prolly lose the whole thing..

10. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

How's it doing?

11. saltydogg

saltydogg Bristle Worm

Well so far so good! (Knock on wood)
    It doesn't look like it is getting rapidly worse... it does look like it might have lost a lil bit more but I'm not real sure. Looks can be deceiving when you are looking for something to happen like that... the true test will be thru this weekend.. if all goes good I'll be less stressful anyways...thanks for checking up though...

12. saltydogg

saltydogg Bristle Worm

Well it slowly started getting a little bit worse.. so I broke down & fragged it..:( @ least this way it wil have a better chance of making it... the frags from it have been in tank for a little over 24 hours & all polyps are open & seem to be loving it...:D sux having a colony broke down to several frags..:(