sps light acclimation question

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Peredhil, Jan 14, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I hope to be picking up a variety of SPS frags this weekend and want to ask about acclimating them to my lights. Here is the scenario:

LFS:
    The LFS I am going to keeps these frags no more than 8" underwater, most are around 6-7". I don't know the exact specs of the lights but I know they are MH.

I will call them tomorrow and ask. The lights are about 2 feet above the water. and there are several. It's been a while since I've been there ;) but that's how i recall it.

ME:
    I have T5's in way of 2 of the UVL super actinics with 2 of the UVL actinic whites in a 55. The light is about 4 inches from the water (on legs).

ultimately I want my new SPS to be about 5-7" below the water.

I'm thinking starting the SPS on the very bottom of my tank may be overkill. And probably should start in the middle of my tank...

but, naturally, am hoping for the chance that this scenario may mean I can put them directly where I want them...

but in any event, i want to know b4 i buy them. ;D

thanks

2. Click Here!

3. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

You would be most likely ok to start with them in the middle. Keep an eye on them. If you start to see bleaching on the tip, then drop them to the bottom.

4. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

Hey Peredhil, glad to see you getting into small polyp stonies! They can be very rewarding, what types are you getting if you don't mind me asking?

I would definitely start them lower to the bottom"ish" of the tank. And see how they react to your lighting. Move them up every week or so, depending on how they acclimate. T5's are surprisingly bright, and can light shock corals just like MH. The only reason I say to put them on the lower level, is because I don't want to see you buy a bunch of sps's and see them get light shocked right away, so this is just my personal opinion. At any rate, what you are really going to look for is the way the polyps react to their new surroundings. Good luck :)

5. stylaster

stylaster Gigas Clam

with your lights i would start them mid way give them a month there, then move them up 3/4 of the way give it another month, then move to the very top, or place where you want them. You should also along the way observe which spot gives the best coloration for the corals

6. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

these are the lights they are coming from

3x400w 15k XM bulbs
    3x5' URI Super Actinic

7. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

contrary to the rest IME you can place em in the desired spot you wanna keep em. Of course you need to place em appropriately ;)

They are coming from under 400w mh's and gonna be under t5's. So you will be fine. now if they were coming from t5's and going under 400w mhs then id be more cautious and would start them lower in the tank with that scenario.

Glad your getting into the sps madness. SPS = Stability Promotes Success. Remember this :)

2 people like this.
  8. Click Here!

9. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

I LOVE that!! Did you come up with it?

K+ tatted, too cool 8)

10. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

I Read it somewhere sometime ago and has stuck with me since. Very good slogan... so good just added it to the signature.Thanks for the K+

11. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

That is what I was thinking... my lights aren't in the same ball park as these. It's not like I have to put them at the top straight away - but just didn't want to find myself impulsively doing it either without having discussed it.

however i end up doing it, i will have to keep an eye on them for a while.

I like that SPS 'quote'. Nice. We've talked about my tank's stability, tatted, in those dosing threads. It was really those threads that got me wanting more than the single SPS I have now. So +K for being all motivational :cheesy:

1 person likes this.
  12. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

yeah, that's a good point watching for best coloration as they get moved around. thanks for the tip!