SPS ID Please!

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Ashevillian, Dec 27, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

It's a locally made frag plug lol. I like it too, much easier to shape and stick.

Thanks for the ID. I figured it was birds nest. There are a few more that are similar only pink that I am going to pick up later this week. Sad thing is during the ride home it lost all of its colors and now its mostly brown. When I purchased it, the polyps were pinkish purple, and the skin was yellow with a lime green tint. Very attractive, but now it's looking pretty bland!

This is my first SPS btw so I'm pretty excited overall and I think it was a good purchase($35)

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Ashevillian

Just noticed the pic of me holding the frag out of water looks almost exactly like deer antlers. Maybe it's just cuz I'm still in the Christmas spirit

4. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I agree with you. I would say it is a digi as well.

5. papareef

papareef Feather Duster

It's a green polyped birdsnest..not digi or stylo...trust me :)

6. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I was going to also say stylophora digitata.
    Rounded tips... but never had a "young" birdsnest.... so, not sure. Maybe give it time to recover and post a closer pic to see the polips, etc.

7. Ashevillian

Sounds good, I'll give it a week and post another picture, hopefully it will give you all a better idea.

I think the LFS owner said something like Seriatopora but there were a few types of these frags, all were different colors. I just picked this one up because of its purple polyps, green glow, and yellow skin.

From what I've gathered, it looks like I made a good decision as far as my first SPS goes. Now I need to find a home for it in my tank. I have a few nice places for it to grow, but I want to get a few more SPS with in the next few weeks and then my tank will be "done". So it's just a matter of finding a place on my LR that I can let it grow out

8. Click Here!

9. Ashevillian

After looking up stylophora digitata it seems very hard to tell the two apart whether it is bird nest or not. I guess it's just too young of a frag to tell at this point, or my eyes just aren't trained well enough

10. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

i had one do the same thing i but it in the sand up against a rock and it came back nice you may what to try it

11. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

it looks like a montipora digitata i think a ora purple

12. Ashevillian

Is it okay to place these corals against a rock? I am trying to decide on where to place the frag in my tank.

Here is a pic of the rockwork in my tank:

[​IMG]