Sps help!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Murball7, Nov 21, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Murball7

Murball7 Bristle Worm

So today I took a chance and if it pays off it will be worth it. I bought a deeply discounted aquacultured Sps frag/colony from my LFS. It is about 5" tall with multiple branches. The catch is that the bottom of the colony is deteriorating and the skeleton is visible, the damage is only about 20%. I dipped the coral in coral rx following the instructions and I plan on dipping again every other day for the next week. My question is would the coral have a better chance of surviving if I frag the branches? Or let them be? 20151121_165042.jpg

2. Click Here!

3. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I'd frag it.

Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

+1 I wouldn't keep dipping it though. Once is enough unless it continues to deteriorate.

5. Murball7

Murball7 Bristle Worm

OK next question what is the best way to frag it? Hacksaw? Snips? Haha believe it or not Ive never had the opportunity to frag anything.

6. Murball7

Murball7 Bristle Worm

Also the coral is also starting to extend polyps, is there any chance the coral regrow over the skeleton?

7. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

It could. A pair of side cutters always works for me. Or bone cutters.

8. Click Here!

9. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Use cutters, looks like a smooth skin Acro to me, be careful dipping them. Often the smoother skin acros don't handle dips well.

Looks like acropora specieosa to me. It can regrow over it but honestly you're much better off fragging a half inch or so above the receding/dead spot, then glue heavily to a plug or base. I've found blasting these colonies with (random) flow really REALLY helps with overall health and recovery.

Murball7 and Corailline like this.
  10. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Did it start shedding tissue before you bought it or after you put it in your tank?

Is it progressing quickly?

11. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Yes. Guaranteed to if the STN stops

12. Murball7

Murball7 Bristle Worm

Kevin I bought it like that from the store(if I can save it it will be worth it if not it only cost couple of bucks), after dipping and rinsing the flesh has since stopped falling off. The polyps are beginning to extend.