SPS has like white string that are starting to spread

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Puffer Chick, Jun 7, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

it started with my staghorn that i got from DD last week, it has not been doing very good, been turning brown/white when its supposed to be green, and constantly releasing ths white string like stuff and has seemed to spread to my green acro.

I am worried about the stag possibly having RTN, pictures do not turn out, pretty much the entire coral is brown/white.

Now that my green acro has the white strings at the very tips i am getting worried.

Any idea what the white string could be? I am also thinking about removing the stag from the tank, but im hoping i can save my acro.

oh and i know that pics would help, but i just cant get any to turn out

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

They are mesenterial filaments, a form of warfare when they sense a coral that is closer than they like.

4. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

ohh ok, they arent close but they are near each other. I guess this is at least a sign that my stag is still alive, i was really getting worried with the loss of color and now this and that the other corals are doing it.

So this shouldnt be to big of a problem?

5. crappyballer

crappyballer Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

well the coral are fighting each other, or so it sounds so yea its a problem. but hopefully you can cure it just by moving them further apart. do you run activated carbon at all? also the color loss may be due to not having them under the intense lights like at dfs

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

No they should settle down in a little while. The filaments should be coming from the tips or polyps openings. If it is coming from somewhere else then it is mucus meaning it is trying to clean itself off. If it is the latter then you may need to increase your flow.

7. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

ok ill see if i can find a better spot for them, and yea, i run carbon. That is true dont they run them under MH, my light is T5HO, i also worry about them because i havent seen any feeders, i got a bushy acro from them as well, havent seen any feeders, their all placed right on the same rock, and my green acro is the only one that has its feeders out.

its from the tips, hopefully i wont have to increae flow even more, their placed right under my MP20 thats on full blast

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You don't want to blast them with flow, move the mp over a little so they aren't getting blasted.

10. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

i just put them there since the green acro really seemd to kike it, maybe its these two dont, i just hope the come around and open up, if i cant make these two happy, im done with SPS and will stick with LPS and softies, at least i have made my birdsnest and green acro happy

11. crappyballer

crappyballer Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

yea don't be surprised if you don't see any major polyp extension for like a week they take time to adjust.