SPS foods

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by reefman_MC, Jun 20, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. shawnz28

shawnz28 3reef Sponsor

To the best of my understanding no the strains are different. Dt's has N. oculata, N. salina, and Chlorella. LLife has Nannochloropsis, Tetraselmis, and Isochrysis(unsure of the species of each). I a pretty sure the micron size diversity is similar bewteen the two products, but I just like adding a little diversity to everything. If I had to feed one I probably would go with Dt's just cause it is live. I used Golden pearls in my old tank with good luck also.

2. Click Here!

3. Scoffer

Scoffer Banned

Hi all. I just got this rock yesterday, store told me it was tube polyps...is that also what you are calling SPS?
    Any idea of a real ID on this stuff?? wasn't sure where to post stuff to help ID them, but saw this thread and figured I ask here....

thanks
    Scoffer

Attached Files:

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Green button polyps. A soft coral :)

5. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

Thanks Gresham for all the links.

Jay ;)

6. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

how often do u have to feed sps corals. I didn't even know u had to feed sps corals. I thought that they get there nutrition from the lights. Is just using DT's by its self enough nutrition for them.

7. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

HL,

I don't think just DT's would be enough....

Feed them perhaps once per week?? Not sure...anyone else?

8. Click Here!

9. shawnz28

shawnz28 3reef Sponsor

Dt's actually does not directly feed many corals, it is just too small. What it does is feed the microlife in your tank which then will reproduce and work its way up the food chain. For sps foods I would probably look into Coral Plankton by Liquid Life and some of the smaller sized Golden Pearls

10. captivereefs

captivereefs Feather Duster

cyclopeeze works great. Can be still to big for some corals though. ut most eat it!

11. mojoreef

mojoreef Bristle Worm

Sps dont eat phyto, they get the vast majority of the food resourses from photosynthisis (98%) the balance is gotten via direct nutrient absorbsion through thier tissue and the balance from slime netting. With the slime netting the spit out a slime which is immediately set upon by bacteria trying to reduce it, they then suck the slime back in through thier cilca and dissolve the bacteria.

MIke

12. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid