SPS dominated nano...

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by chuckdee, Oct 2, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chuckdee

chuckdee Peppermint Shrimp

I need help findng out if keeping SPS in a 24g nano is a good or bad idea.. I don't see many SPS dominated tanks often. This is why I wonder if it isn't a good choice.. I feel like I can handle the challenge of keeping SPS knowing they aren't as hardy as the corals I keep now. My current setup has been running for about 7 months now, and everything is perfect. No deaths, very healthy growth, and a striving livestock. I am really considering replacing the mushrooms, polyps, and LPS stock I have now with SPS corals. One of my concerns is do I need any extra equipment for keeping SPS. For instance, a calcium reactor. I know they consume a lot of calcium, so is it ok to just dose calcium to replace the amount consumed? I would rather not add more equipment since I have no more room left. I still would like to know if it is a good idea, and any suggestions on adding or replacing equipment would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I wouldn't bother with a calcium reactor with that small of a tank so just keep your levels up with supplements. I'm guessing that you've already thought about what lights you'll need and how you'll keep your temps down in that small of a tank?

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I had problems with a Calcium Reactor on a 20long with a sump. I could dial it in and get the desired calcium, but I had problems with the pH - it was always low unless I used buffer... Something in the instructions led me to believe that it was related to the water volume. FWIW...

1 person likes this.
  5. chuckdee

Ok so I'll pass on the reactor, and keep up on my additive schedual. Yea, I have 14,000k MH, and a chiller running so lighting and temp fluctuations are never a problem. I have never seen any type of ammonia, No2, or No3 spikes. Ph 8.3 and temp at 79 are very consistant. Alk is at 4 meq/L. Phosphate and Iodide are always good. I keep my Mag at 1400 and my Calcium at 420-440. My top off keeps my SG stuck at 1.026.

One thing I don't have or test for is Strontium. You guys think I should start looking into that? I can't seem to find a solid answer on this subject. Info on Strontium is unclear...

So do you guys think a SPS dominated nano can work for me long term??

Last edited: Oct 4, 2007
  6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I do think that it can work for you long term. As for strontium, if you do regular water changes, you should not have to add it at all because your salt mix should contain it :)

1 person likes this.
  7. chuckdee

Alright, so everything sounds good. I'm glad to hear I'm ready to roll. So I guess it's time to start shopping. Thanks again for lending your knowledge....

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Since you're going shopping, you might as well buy yourself some fragging tools because you're going to need them :)

10. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

He only has 55 posts. I thought the rule was that you weren't allowed to beg for frags until a member has 100 posts.

I'm gonna tell.

;D

11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

:lol: Go ahead then ya big tattler! :D

12. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

LOL!!! :p

Chuck

You can have a SPS dominated nano. I've done it myself. Keep on top of your evaporation top-offs to avoid major salinity swings because they happen faster in nano's than in larger tanks. (Even better, top off with kalkwasser once you have your parameters in line).

As was stated previously, Strontium supplementation should not be needed with regular water changes. THIS IS AN OVERSIMPLIFICATION Strontium, Magnesium, and Calcium are somewhat used interchangebly so a regular waterchange will take care of this for you.