SPS Coral question?

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by RedGambit, Mar 1, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

So... I have managed to Kill every SPS coral Ive put in my 120g. Not sure why!?! but in my 46g I plan on trying some SPS again.

Lighting -
    14,000k 150W HQI Metal Hailde and 2x36w T5HO Actinics.

Flow -
    around 1400GPH between all the aquiptment.

Params -
    Nitrate - 0
    Phosphate - 0
    Ph - 8.2
    KH - 12
    Ammonia - 0
    Nitrite - 0
    Calcium - 430

Only Test I dont have is the Magnesium Test. I plan on getting one of those this weekend.

Anything I should change to keep SPS alive in my posession?

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Where do you keep your SG/salinity?

I see your current dKH and pH which are good. How stable are they?

How are you losing your SPS? Bleaching, RTN, STN?

4. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

the SPS were all in my 120g, (stats are for the 46g) Sorry forgot the SG..

Salinity - 1.025

All params have been stable since the last 3 water changes and not fluxuated at all.

As for the loss of the SPS, My acro was RTN Lost it within a few days, It was an online order and it didnt seem to look right when I 1st recieved it.

My monti caps Just looke bleached, they randomly come back with a little color but then it goes away. It seems anything not LPS or softie or mushroom that goes in my 120g Ends up being a mistake :\. Im tempted on the 46g. It does have a much higher lighting. The 120g only has about 216W T5HO. ( probably a lighting issue) But all the params in that tank are the same except PH is 8.1 and DKH is 11 .

5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Do you have any leather corals? Do you have caulerpa in refugium?

Both of the above put out noxious toxins that inhibit growth in SPS and/or cause other problems with SPS

6. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

I have a Leather now yes in the 120g. however it was one of the last additions recently I havent gotten any SPS in over a month or two prior to the Leather toadstool.

and I dont have a fuge so ":| Would it have been possible that the UV steralize I ran killed off what The SPS needed to eat?

7. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

No. SPS farm their own bacterioplankton that they capture in their mucus nets as well as a little prey capture of zooplankton. They don't care if they are alive or dead. All coral foods sold to hobbyists are dead.

Now that you have a toadstool, run granular activated carbon to remove it's chemical warfare toxins.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Already do. Run carbon via canister or my HOB. depending which im in the mood to change out or leave as just a water polisher.

But No leathers in my 46g. Just some zoo's an open brain and a couple clams. I plan on doing the sps in the 46g.

10. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

how old is your 46 now? and how old was your 120 when you put the sps in there

1 person likes this.
  11. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

120g was 5 months old? 46g is a month, two if you consider that I trasnfered everything form the 20g sand rock etc.

12. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

mmm sometimes new tanks arent established enough... but then again, I have seen a few brand new tanks keep some nice sps