SPS Bubble Disease?

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Reef_Ninja, Nov 28, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Reef_Ninja

Reef_Ninja Spaghetti Worm

Does anyone have any experience with this? I've noticed that these bubbles grow on my Setosa frag, and although its still growing and showing great PE, the bubbles are definitely getting bigger. I've read a lot online, but there doesn't seem to be any follow-up threads that show any results?

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I had a couple of these pop up on my birdsnest and montipora in the last couple weeks. My temp climed to 86, so I attributed it to the temperature.

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I would not call it a disease per say. You need to first check your parameters, Calcium, Alk, Magnesium. It seems to be a benign condition and self limiting. Some have contributed the appearance of bubbles to chronic elevated Magnesium and Calcium levels. You can find about 1/2 dozen threads on the internet regarding the issue but nothing definitive.

5. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Would lighting play a role? What do you have for lights?

6. Reef_Ninja

I run LEDs. Not sure how I feel about them, to be honest. I run everything the same I always have, with the excpetion of the LEDs and Im seeing issues Ive never had before.

However, Im just about hitting thr 8 month mark and everytning seems like its picking up speed as far as growth goes.

Did alot of reading on this, and not much on it. Never really found any threads that follow thru.

7. Reef_Ninja

My params are good, been able to keep them pretty stable (since last we spoke). Alk is 3.1 meq, Ca 440 (never below 400), Mg 1420.

8. Click Here!

9. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

High Mg can do this.

10. Reef_Ninja

Not trying to doubt your experience or advise, but do you have any experience or information?

11. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

I haven't seen it in monti's, but have in acros. But usually with sustained levels above 1500. 1420 doesn't seem high enough, but it's a bit of a mystery what the magic combination is of things above 1500. So perhaps 1420 could be high enough, in the right combination with the unknown. There are plenty who keep their Mg level high and do not experience this type of result, but high Mg is the common denominator when I've seen this issue arise.

12. Reef_Ninja

Just to close things up, the bubbles eventually popped and healed. I didn't pop them myself, and wouldn't recommend it. Healed up nicely so far, and hasn't spread to anything else yet.