SPS Bleaching questions??

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by LoJack, Aug 22, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. LoJack

LoJack Sea Dragon

Hello,

Can an SPS unbleach itself?

I have two instances I'm curious about that are currently happening in my tanks.

#1 - I have an acropora that has been stung by a colt, didn't notice it for a few days. Now the main stem attached to the rock is half bleached, and half seemingly healthy.

Question- Will it slowly recover, or will the bleaching continue to spread?

And since the main stalk is whats bleached, should the rest of this coral be fragged in order to save it?

#2 - I have a Green Birdsnest coral that was raised into high intensity light too quickly ... it faded in color from electric green to a pastel green. Its continuing to grow at the same rate, but suffered serious color loss. Its been 6 months and its still pastel ... will it ever come back?

2. Click Here!

3. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

#1 Frag It. This is what I would do anyway. This is the reason, I personally don't like having softies in my sps tank. Nothing wrong with them but the cheap colt coral is always going to win against the expensive acro=)

#2 I don't know that it will recover if it's kept in that lighting. Just because the color of your birdsnest is lighter, doesn't mean it's any less healthy. I like to play with the colors of my sps like this. The amount of light they get will dictate their shade and since most birdsnest tend to like lower light, I believe you are stuck with this color till you move it down. FWIW my green birdsnest is at the very bottom of my tank and the colors are poppin

4. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

Its may not be a light issue but a nutrients issue sps can certinly overcome illnesses with time

5. 32Boom

32Boom Coral Banded Shrimp

In my experience once tissue has died on an SPS, there will never be new tissue growth through the skeleton. If you have fixed whatever caused the bleaching, it will stop. WM says "Yes" though, so maybe.

6. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

I have taken in many sps corals that are 3/4 dead and 1/4 hairy, and i 85% of the time save them. With the right placement and feedings and care any coral can be nursed back to health.

As far as the coloring, move it farther away from the light, see what happens.

7. LoJack

LoJack Sea Dragon

Thanks for all the tips guys.

The bleaching on the acro wasn't a tank problem or water quality issue ... a piece of garbage softy stung it ... and burnt the stalk.

The birdsnest also not nutrient related I wouldn't think, considering the health of absolutely everything else. I've been reading lately that birdsnest is one of the low light loving sps ... so maybe a move closer to the bottom is in order.

8. Click Here!

9. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

dude! a dead coral is a dead coral & a sick coral is a sick coral, just with SPS coral most sick coral end up as dead coral!!