Urgent Sps bleached overnight

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by nc208082, Jul 5, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

So i added 2 new sps frags a few days ago and they were doing fine. My ph is 8.2, temp is 82-84 degrees. Salinty is 1.026. Zero ammonia and nitrites. About 5 ppm nitrates and .5 ppm phosphate. Alk is 6.8.

I tested my calcium was at 500 this morning. And 3 of my Sps frag went completely white overnight.

Any way to save these guys?

Also I use 4 t5 kz bulbs. Half the frags were kept under t5s at the store and the others under 400w Mh. Is it the extra calcium. Which is doing this?

2. Click Here!

3. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Completely white as in bleached (tissue/polyps still attached) or completely white as in skeleton showing?

Could be a myriad of things, but the low Alk definitely is suspect if they are only bleached.

4. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Is there any particular reason your temp is so high? Not saying that caused it... just curious.
    Alk is low.. but otherwise looks ok.

Are all the frags affected or just the one?

5. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

Agreed, temp is high & alk is low as others have pointed out.

How high was the placement at the store in relation to the lighting, and how high were they in your tank?

6. Reef-a-holic

Reef-a-holic 3reef Sponsor

Agreed...the fist suspect I would look to is the low Alk.

7. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

Thank you for your quick replies. No polyp extensions and very white. I can bring the alk up. Reason temp is so high is it got very hot up here quick and the building doesn't have ac. Rest of the year tank stays around 78-80 degrees. Could the temp be the reason it happened so fast. ?

Placement of corals under Mh are closer to the top. T5s are closer to the middle

8. Click Here!

9. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

The metabolism of creatures is faster in warmer conditions. So yes.. it would be quicker.. exactly how much, who knows for sure.

10. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Metabolism is non-linear, but 82-84 has actually been shown to be about optimal for scleractinians. Currently, I have my heater set in that range and have a lot of SPS. So, it seems quite unlikely that is the issue, unless your thermometer is off and it's actually a few degrees warmer, or if it wasn't acclimated properly to that temp. For example if it came from a very cold tank. It sounds like it rtn'd. Typically this is the result of an infection, often it is opportunistic though and a result of environmental parameters. Alk is a bit low, but many ULN systems are in that range, as is the ocean, so also seems unlikely. I would suspect something else is going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I would say alk, ca and PO4 all could have something to with it. Your acclimation procedure could also be an issue.

12. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Wow, I misread that, is that really .5 PO4? Form SPS anything over about .03 will slow down growth and cause stress. High levels, certainly are associated with bleaching and .5 is extremely high. Is this an accurate measurement, or are you measuring with test strips or something? If accurate, you need to get that down considerably with GFO. Just don't add to much, as dropping po4 too quickly can cause stress. So ramp up slowly over a few days.

Also a pic would help to determine if it is bleaching or rtn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk