SPS and PC's

Discussion in 'Coral' started by OoNickoC, Jan 12, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

ANyone here had or heard of sucess in keeping SPS with pcs in high dosages? I've got about 7 watts per gallon in a 5 gallon hex....2 PH's on random intervals....and very steady parameters. My LR goes from top to bottom so i could get the corals right under the light. Just looking for some 2nd-8th opinions..... :)

2. Click Here!

3. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

well i have 3 acros in like 5-6 wpg in a 55 ...the 5 might be to small..they need very stedy water quality...but idk...

4. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I know a guy that has very successful Growth running NO lights

J

5. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Sea,

There are lots of people who successfully keep acros under PC and fluoro lighting. It's all really just a matter of the distances between the light source and the coral. Watts per gallon means nothing in this instance. Good random water flow is also essential.

John

6. OoNickoC

my parameters are very stable....i dont let water evaporate ( bi weekly drips of kalk water so thier is no chance for evap). So far (bout 3.5 months) no spikes scine the cycle. Also have a chiller so when summer hit there will be no temp changes. Do you use MH's?

7. OoNickoC

awesome....i was thinking that when set the tank up....so i have LR going from the bed all the way to the surface. Ill post pics when i make some progress.

8. Click Here!

9. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Sea,

The higher the better, I wouldn't even be too concerned if some of the rock/coral actually broke the water surface :)

John

10. OoNickoC

My LR actually does break the surface for my red crab (intertidal) so Up they shall go.....im headed to Sacremento to meet a new prospective distributor for saltwater.....should get some freebies ;D I Just got a green water lab/soda bottle factory goin at work....and figured hey why not go crazy and get a lil clam. I saw some jaw droppers last time i picked up shipment.....be back with pics ;)

11. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Cool, post pics of your set-up!

12. OoNickoC

I got a clam and it was not happy in the tank at all becuase of my cleaning crew....i found 2 tiny hermits INSIDE the clam and could not get them out..... :-[. But i did get some neat little neon green star polyp frags, some new Xenia (not for this tank though) and a yashi shrimp goby...all for about $20 ;D. Im looking for any broght M. capricornis, pavona, and small Acros...so anyone that does fraggin pm me ;). Heres the pics of my tank. I have yet to see the yashi goby out of his hole (only been in there for 2 days though).

Attached Files: