SPS and LPS compatiblity

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by nanomania, May 23, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nanomania

nanomania Vagabond Butterfly

which are the best SPS and LPS coral to start with and are ok if kept close to each other...... i jus have a montipora cap. right now, planning to go for a SPS LPS only tank.... got a softies tank already....... im looking for photosynthetic corals so no worries of feeding too much, only 1ce or 2ice a week......

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

How big will the tank be nanomania?

as you are already probably aware , there are a couple of potential issues
    when keeping LPS and SPS in same tanks

Flow - if you have enough flow to keep the SPS happy, then this amount of flow can be to much for some of the more fleshy LPS corals
    if its a large tank and you can create areas of high random flow and also calmer areas in the lower half of the tank, then its possible

some LPS that I have success with in a tank with 90x tank volume in water flow
    are Wellsos, Lobos and Acans
    other corals of that type would also probably be OK in moderate flow in calm areas of an SPS tank

LPS that I struggled with, once I had enough flow for my SPS where Bubble, Frogspawn, torch - which are very fleshy when expanded and did not appreciate that amount of water movement

issue 2 - aggression
    if an SPS coral makes contact with a LPS coral, then the SPS coral IME does not fare very well and bear in mind that certain LPS corals can extend their nemocyst bearing feeder tentacles in order to seek out what is in the general area that they can sting
    bubble corals even a small colony of 4 inch or so, I have seen those sweeper tentacles extend 10 - 12 inches beyond the body of the coral in order to investigate its neighbours

Steve

1 person likes this.
  4. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

+1 I'd also add two more issues.

3) Lighting. Some corals can handle the flow such as chalices and maze-brains, for example. However, sometimes these corals, as I've found can have trouble with the bright lighting in an SPS tank. So you need to have some shaded areas for them.

4) Nutrients. Some LPS corals come from lagoon areas with higher nutrient levels. Lower nutrient levels, combined with the other inherent stressors of an SPS tank can cause issues.

1 person likes this.
  5. nanomania

my tank size will be 24"L x 18"W x 18"H.....
    lighting will be 1 36w 12000k
    1 36w blue
    1 24w actinic03(true purple)
    filteration : cheato, live sand(dsb) and liverock planning to go without skimmer with ATS.......

any suggestions for corals?? or anything else??

6. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

IME i have noticed that you really cant keep them really close together, i have tried,frogpspawn,acan,and a few other large LPS with SPS up on the rocks, but if you want to keep them together thats fine..But to be honest, i have a Red planet rip up an acan frag in like 3 hours. I have Softie,LPS,SPS in my 29g biocube. Everything grows fine, although the slowest growing corals are the softie and LPS.

7. nanomania

can u post ur pic??

8. Click Here!

9. Zoanthids21

OF my tank?

10. Zoanthids21

uploadfromtaptalk1306244129916.jpg

There u go

Its not that great of a shot, but on the top right are all my acans,some xenia and GSP, the left side a huge colony of xenia and a large toadstool leather and some yellow polyps that are now on the right side. As long as the LPS and SPS are not within stinging range(About 3 inches) then your fine.
    Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

11. nanomania

thats nice, can u tell me how to post pics?? im new to this...... need some suggestions on my nano.....

12. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

Hit "post reply" and then you'll see a button that says "manage attachments". Alternatively, you can set up a free photo hosting account at photobucket or flickr