Sps and a carbon reactor?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by fishguy597, Jan 12, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

All the iodine you need is in your salt mix. It is also one of the most misused additives around and very very easy to overdose. Toss it or use it as a dip for new corals but don't add it to your tank.

2. Click Here!

3. fishguy597

fishguy597 Astrea Snail

Wow that artical was pretty dry. Just for the gha problem I have going on I'm gona stop using it . I have been using the lugals and it said
    that they have a high percent of medical iodine in there and that it's antibacterial. I didn't know that. 2 of the lfs I go to told me to use it and supposedly they use it in there sps tanks. Any other things that can fuel the gha? My lights are 5 months old the are 2 400 watt ushios. I clean my filters weekly sometimes 2 times a
    week. My tank turn over is 29 times an hr. I know I need a bit more I'm waiting on fundage. I have been running a PO4 reactorfor a year.I also change the media every 3 months. I use ro/di water with weekly water changes between 10&20 %. I have used the salifert Po4 tester and shows 0. SA 1.024, dkh 9, no2 0, no3 0, ph 8.4, mg 1240, cal 420. I just turned my ca reactor back on to help raise my mag levels.

4. fishguy597

fishguy597 Astrea Snail

Btw amonia at 0. My metal halides are on for 6 hours and my actinics for 8 hrs

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

:lol: That's an understatement :lol:

6. fishguy597

fishguy597 Astrea Snail

Another thought, can air bubbles fuel gha? I'm moving so much waterfrom my return pumps that with evaporation that sometimes I'm pumping air and water. I have noticed that the bubbles on the rocks seam to cause more gha. Or maybe I'm crazy...

7. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

What size is your tank? 800w of halides is a ton of light. I think letting your PO4 media go 3 months is a long time. Is that what the directions say? What media are you using. Seems most thing I read is 4-8 weeks.

8. Click Here!

9. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Are you scrubbing it while it's in the tank? If so, stop immediately. One of Filamentous algaes reproduction methods is method called fragmentation. In other words, if it "thinks" it's being eaten by a herbivore, it fragments and those fragments flow in the current, land, and start growing from there.

If you want to scrub your rocks, the next time you do a waterchange, keep the dirty water in bucket. Take your rock out of the tank and scrub the algae off there.......Rinse the rock well with fresh saltwater, and then return it to the tank.

10. fishguy597

fishguy597 Astrea Snail

It's a 200 gal . I think I'm still a little low on lighting I have been thinking about adding another 400 watter to it . I only have 2 t5 actinics wich is 100 watts. I have been pulling them and cleaning them in used water. I had an outbreak of ich or velvet in my tank so I had to break it down to catch the fish and put them in a qt. When I did that I scrubed them again in buckets. It was looking good for a bit and it's starting to come back. ( this happened around Xmas) . I have been using phosban and if I remember correctly it said to change it every 3 mo. I know it wasn't monthly. I'm gona do a 100 gal change this weekend since it's a timely affair. My pink birds nest is growing gha in the center of it and ihave to frag it it sucks cause it was finally getting a good size.

11. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Got it. Ya... big tank. I don't know phosban. I use GFO. I think PB is aluminim based. But ya.... what ever those directions say.... they know better than me. Sounds like you got it handled.

12. fishguy597

fishguy597 Astrea Snail

i wish i had it handled i wouldnt have any gha, lol. Maybe I'll have to check out brs and change my po4 media since it isnt doing squat! any thoughts on the air bubbles fueling the fire?