Sps and a carbon reactor?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by fishguy597, Jan 12, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fishguy597

fishguy597 Astrea Snail

Gotcha . Now that I think about it I was told that certian carbon puts phosphates into the water so that is why I have never done it. Has anyone heard of this? If so what brands do you recommend to go with or stay away from? Btw I dose iodine once a week and have been running a po4 reactor for a year. I forgot the abbreviation for it. I have a mag 250 I think I'm gona turn into my carbon reactor since I don't need it in my sump

2. Click Here!

3. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Carbon does not raise PO4. There are many pretty packages to choose from at premium prices. I use Bulk Reef Supply ROX .8. Best carbon out there. If you want something cheaper, I would go with their lignite based carbon. Different carbon has different pore structures. Either of these would be great. Even if you don't want to do it all the time, running a batch of carbon a week a month would still help a lot.

4. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Some carbons are washed in phosphoric acid. People who didn't know what they were talking about said, "Aha, Carbon adds phosphorus". Well, the reality is, acid washed carbons contain less phosphorus. It's the ash in carbons that contain the most phosphorus. If you remove the ash, you remove the phosphorus. Whether the manufacturer does it with acid or you do it yourself with tapwater, it doesn't really matter.

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Like In-wall mentioned only thing I know it will scrub is iodine and I would myself never dose that I've never used iodine to this day and I see no reason to start now , IMO it only feeds algae ): I also use the heck out of Ozone and when we run 0'3 that carbon is almost a must under the skimmers outlet to be safe ..
    As for testing for PO4 I use a salifert PO4 test kit and a carbon reactor is cheap and hangs on the outside of the sump and as for having it in a bag with water from a source like a skimmer outlet thats fine as long as the water is passing through it I run it in a bag under my skimmer outlet . If you are dosing Iodine ? then that is also a source for the algae issues you have.. I also run a NO3 reactor to always keep tham at zero or below as I keep my PO4 at below 0.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  6. Grant

Grant Feather Duster

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  7. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Yes. Any Ferric Oxide-based Phosphate remover also removes silicates. Most of the Aluminum-based phosphate removers also bind silicates.

8. Click Here!

9. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

why are you dosing iodine?

10. fishguy597

fishguy597 Astrea Snail

Alright now I have some carbon in my sump. I wasn't able to use my 220 magnum as a reactor it doesn't have enough suction to pull the water out since it's not lower then my sump. So I put it in a bag under the return for my chiller. Can't wait to see what happens . The reason I have been using iodine is it's supposed to help the inverts . It is also supposed to help with polop extension.

11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Iodine can actually force your inverts to molt which is not a good thing. If you're doing regular water changes, there is absolutely no reason for you to add it and if you're not testing for it before you add it, you could end up with a ton of problems:

Have a read here:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/mar2003/chem.htm

12. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

That will work, but just be sure the carbon is not being beat to death by the flow. Carbon is soft and it will just wear down to nothing in heavy flow.