Urgent Sprung a leak w/ new fish

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by reefadd1ct, Jul 12, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefadd1ct

reefadd1ct Plankton

So I'm pretty new to this stuff and I have myself in a pickle yesterday I just put a hippo tang in the tank all is well with the fish doing just fine was a little freaked out for the first few hours in the tank he finally warmed up to everyone in the tank so I sat down and was watching him and noticed a drip on the side of the tank here is where it get good...my 75 HAS SPRUNG A LEAK so my question is this the leak is pretty slow it hasnt even filled up a cup in 24 hours but I have read that the hippo's are really finicky with ich and stress etc etc since he hasnt even been in the tank for any period of time is it going to stress him out even more should I give him a day or 2 more or just bite the bullet and do the change today I have the new tank sitting right by waiting for action but I am concerned for the well being of my new pride and joy so let the cup fill and let the fish chill or do it now before it turns into a real disaster ANY COMMENTS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED I COULD USE THE HELP ASAP:-/:-/:-/:-/

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Welcome to 3reef,

I my opinion, the risk of a leaking tank getting dramatically worst and causing ruptures at the seams is not worth it.

I would plan on moving everything over in the near future.

I would never even be able to sleep at night knowing I had a tank with compromised integrity with regard to structure.

Tank and everything in it versus one fish perhaps getting stressed, it's an easy decision for me to make.

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Just wanted to add that I would to everything to make sure the water is indeed coming from a leak before any intervention.

Good luck, I hope it all turns out well.

5. aw1447

aw1447 Montipora Capricornis

+1 to Coraillines suggestions. Find the source of the leak first, and see if something can be done to fix it asap. If not, I'd get that spare tank ready to go. If the tang was healthy to begin with, I'm sure it'll be fine.

6. reefadd1ct

reefadd1ct Plankton

Thanks

The fish is happy as could be I just didnt know how finicky the fish truely was I just wasnt sure and yes your definitely right I am running on moutain dew and 5 hour energy's I have been pretty much sitting and watching I had to wait for the store to open to get a new tank I really appreciate the immediate response I will be sure to stick around off to change tanks now thought thanks alot - Bryan

7. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

I agree with the others. since you already have the new tank, i would make the switch. then you can fix the old tank and use it for a display refugium.....wait, i'm the one that wants one of those not you. sorry.

8. Click Here!

9. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

if you dont have Ich in your tank, andthe fish does not carry any of it currently, then it will NOT get ich no matter how stressed it may be. Ich is a PARASITE. it only gains success when a fish is stressed and has a lower immune system.

10. reefadd1ct

reefadd1ct Plankton

All is well...

Thanks for the help the tank change went rather smoothly everyone seems happy with the new setup plus i got to move the tank over two feet and now its even with the wall ;D;D