Spraying Raid near/around the tank?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by elweshomayor, Jun 29, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

Hey guys, has anyone here ever sprayed Raid near or around the tank? I am moving back home for quite a bit, and my parents built a divider in the living room where the fish tank is so that I can build myself a "room".
    Im getting a bed tomorrow but I really wanted to get the mattress in the floor and just sleep in there for tonight.
    (I'd have the tank right in front of me and I can't wait).

The issue is that there are a few insects crawling around that space and I can't stand crawly things.. Especially spiders near or around me. The high bed will lower the chances of them crawling in my bed, but not if its just the mattress in the floor lol I dont wanna wake up to spiders in my mouth :looking::eek:

Long story short, most insects are located in the corners and around the edges of the house. The ones im interested are near the windows and about say.. 12feet away from the tank.. If i were to spray with the nozzle touching the carpet or very close to touching the carpet and near the edge of the wall where insects crawl.. would my tank be ok?

What about same logic but around the bottom edges of the tank? My sump is located in the garage so there is nothing in the bottom of the tank.

I am super weary of spraying anything in the living room and it is completely prohibited to bring anything that aerosols near the tank.. however im not spraying into the wind but very carefully into the carpet to repell/kill crawly things lol...

would this be too risky?

2. Click Here!

3. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

4. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Careful with the airesol cans, they spray a lot of chemical that is airborne. If you can I would recommend getting a sprayer that actually has a gun and nozzle where you can adjust the angle of the insect poison to a stream instead of really fine spray. I had an exterminator spray the house with "safe" bug spray and it really screwed up our reef tank. It took months to correct and I lost colonies. It wasn't a coincidence. You'd be surprised how much stuff is airborne that ends up in our tanks.

Lovemyreef2015 likes this.
  5. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

are you serious!? what did he use, anthrax? iv sprayed anti-bugs and house deos with no issue....mind you I obviosuly was careful not to spray it near the tank but I was'nt THAT careful, if you know what I mean....

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  6. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Who knows what he sprayed but he swore it was non toxic to pets and children. He sprayed near my ro water supply so that was compromised too. I'm sure most people won't have any problems spraying around there tank but it takes one time to cause a real mess. We really try to keep aerosol sprays out of the living room to be safe.

Lovemyreef2015 likes this.
  7. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid