Spots on Foxface

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Crystal12, Nov 4, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Crystal12

Crystal12 Astrea Snail

I just noticed these spots on one side of my foxface this morning. I got as good of a pic as I could because he's very active, but I am curious as to what this is so that I can figure it how to cure it...thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Looks like Black Ich, but fish develop different shading and spots all the time that resolve through out the day. If it continues good Black Ich.

4. Crystal12

Crystal12 Astrea Snail

The spots are gone, but I also turned the temp up to 80 degrees per the LFS advice. He said to maintain a temp of 80 for 5 days and it should clear it up? Any experience with a method like this?

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

It's an old wise tale remedy used for fresh water fish. Did he mention the name of the pathogen this supposed treatment works for?

As I posted previously fish develop odd spots and different pigmentation's, maybe the fish was stung by a coral.

When a fish is stung by a coral they develop black spots, it's called hypermelenization.

6. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

My Foxface will get spots (I have seen both white and black) and all are always gone the same day. I have learned not to fret when I notice anything on it. Glad yours looks fine again!

7. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

I was told the same thing about my Powder Brown Tang. LFS said it just happens on occasion to his and they're gone within a day. I just hope I didn't dose him in copper for all this time for nothing, but he was pretty bad.

I did go to three different LFS in my area, none mentioned to raise the temp and only one place said to lower my salinity in the QT tank.