Sponge or something?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by zesty, Feb 6, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

The beginning of this little journey starts with my eshopps overflow (wetside) was full to the top. That's the first time since I started this overflow up that it's done this. So, I knew something was up and my first place to look was the U-tube, uh hmm, the CLEAR U-tube. So it had some algae buildup inside, but nothing really crazy. So, I jammed myself behind my tank to look at the dryside of the overflow. I can't see over to where the U-tube drains, so it's difficult to see what's going on over there.
    I decide, what's a better thing to do here? I know, jam your finger into some place that you don't exactly know what you're going to find. I touched something almost rubbery and it had a decent amount of mass, like it had wrapped around the 3 sides, the one is the side the overflows into the drain section.

I've been trying to get a good picture of this. This was a quick attempt before I had to take my daughter to swim lessons last night.

[​IMG]

I have some similar looking stuff on a zoa colony I have, I'll try and get a picture of that too. It's all just a bright white and looks like a sponge. I've just never seen it in such quantity.

Thank you!

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Hard to tell from the image but sounds like a sponge. It's the perfect place for growth, flow carrying small particles for nutrition and darkness. You can remove it but it will probably grow back eventually. You just going to have to check it from time to time.

zesty likes this.
  4. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

Thank you! I had forgotten that I found some more taking over this little zoa colony.
    and yes, I will have to check it, but not when I get my cuber running!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

5. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

I have some of that in the shady areas of my tank. I have written it off as sponge so I am following to see if anyone IDs it any different.