"Sponge Crab"(?) - "Friend/Foe"?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by omard, Nov 22, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Kids just spotted today...small squat (brown) "fuzzy" crab in a self created sandy crevice under a rock.

Have no idea where he came from - must have "hitchhiked" in on either Fiji or Florida lr.

Have only seen "out" once, most likely nocturnal.

Not enough of a "view" yet to get picture. But browsing web and books, this appears to be most likely what he is...even though not "wearing" any sponge yet.

His is little (about 1") and not very "pretty"...but is welcome as long as not going to become major threat to other creatures in tank.

Anyone know anything about?

Rgds,

OmarD

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I had never heard of a sponge crab before. Thanks for posting. I was guessing until the end you were talking about a decorator crab.

4. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

A "sponge crab" sounds like a pretty neat animal...but maybe some wishful thinking on my part.

On further "research" - while it looks very much like the "sponge" variety (without sponge)...it is far more likely what I have referred to as a "mud" or "gorilla" crab. - common to Carribean waters where my lr. came from.

Nothing good said about it anywhere.

Appears I am going to likely have to do some "crabbing" in the tank with which I have little experience with. Do have have much, however, going after Dungeness here in Puget Sound.

So guess I will go after the same way...build a mini "trap" like my big ones hanging in garage, bait with some shrimp or something (turkey/chicken legs, or salmon carcuses good for big ones)... :) - and go after that way.

Am not in big hurry to do so unless highly recommended by someone here. He is little, kind of interesting watching him build sanctuaries under rocks and does not seem to be going after anything he should not. He does have a very "threatening" demeanor to anything wandering close to him however.

Will keep close eye on.

OmarD

[​IMG]

5. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

If its claws are big enough to grab something it will. Your call but eradication to a sump or other environs is probably the way you want to go.

Great research, post the links please.

6. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

CRAB TRAP UNDER CONSTRUCTION!

found this post over at "ReefLounge" forum..

(from post over at "Reeflounge" forum

In case anyone isn't for sure about the Gorilla Crab, GET IT OUT I had one in my tank about the size of a nickle. He ate snails and other species of crabs, and a Chromus! When about 2 weeks later that Gorillas claw was found and the larger one (about the size of a quarter) managed to eat not only the first Gorilla, but a Manderin Fish, a large Diamond Sleeper, 3 more Chromus and just about every other living being that even thought about stepping or sleeping close to the bottom . I took it to the LFS about 6 weeks ago and it is now easily the size of a hafl dollar. This is from experience and I thought he was going to be a COOL additional hitchhikerg. I was strongly mistaken.

Oh, if you want to get him out.....just put a small glass in the bottom close to a rock that her is near with some frozen food submerged in the bottom of the glass. Crab crawls in, can't crawl out

Almost got him with a pair of "tongs" this evening...but he slipped away on way out...

Am going to try the "glass" trick tonight...

OmarD

[​IMG]

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

[smiley=laugh5.gif]

Forget about the crab, what's that monster in your post!

8. Click Here!

9. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

good luck gettin your crab i have a rock crab i was after months ago and never got out the only thing is i havent seen him for a while so i dont know if someting happened to him or if hes hiding in a better spot but im still on the look out