spider sponge

Discussion in 'NPS Corals' started by TriggersRule, Dec 22, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TriggersRule

TriggersRule Feather Duster

I picked up a spider sponge from my LFS last week, from what I understand they are really hard to keep but I couldn't resist getting it because it was a smoking deal. I'm curious if anyone one here has any experience with this coral? If so what did you do to keep you spider sponge healthy?

From what I understand they need low light, high flow, and should be feed phytoplankton regularly.

On mine polyps seems to be extending quite well and overall the coral looks happy thus far but this morning I noticed a small portion of the tip of one of the branches has lost its color. Really not sure if there is anything I can do to fix this or prevent it going any further but any input or advice would be appreciated.

2. Click Here!

3. TriggersRule

Here is a pic of the sponge I am referring to...

Attached Files:

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Pesonally I do not have one, did a lot research when they first hit the market. Only reason I did not get one was because of the feeding requirements. They would probably do really well in non-photosynthetic tanks.

Yours looks very healthy, nice PE. Target feeding it routinely at least 3 times a weeks is probably going to be the most benefical for it.

Good luck.

5. TriggersRule

Thanks, I gave that a try today so I'll continue doing that every few days and see how it turns out.

6. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

Very cool looking. Hope it works out good.

7. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

8. Click Here!

9. TriggersRule

Thanks guys, I had been wanting to get one for a while now but they are typically 100+ at the LFS...I got this one for half that during their x-mas sale :cheesy: