Spawnig plant?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by jline, Nov 27, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jline

jline Astrea Snail

I was looking at my tank and noticed that something was spawning. After a closer look I discovered that it was this macro plant that had started from no where. At first it was cool, then I noticed that my water was turning green and all of the shoots were oozing big time. I started tearing it out, but, by the time I was done, my water now has a strong lime green color. All of my sps and other corals look fine. polops are out. No stress noticed. The plant has leaves about 1/4 to 1/2 inch long with a jaged edge.
    I am assuming that because it is a plant it will not hurt anything?
    Any input will be appreciated.

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

I believe the algea went sexual and did pollinate the tank. There shouldn't be anything in emminant danger. Your skimmer will help and can you run some carbon to help clear the water. You may see the algea propogate and colonize, what fish do you have in your tank? Any algeavores?

4. jline

jline Astrea Snail

I just have several crabs and a few snails. No fish for the alge. I don't think that they will eat it anyway. It is a very tough kind of alge. When the roots get a hold of something it does not want to let go. I wish that I would have gotten rid of it when it first appeared. I have never seen it in the fish stores, and I have been messing around with saltwater for 13 years.