South Korean Oil Spill - 2.8 Million Gallons

Discussion in 'Environmental' started by Matt Rogers, Dec 10, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I am slipping this one in late to not be such a bummer around here...

We have had an oil spill Trifecta - 1st San Francisco Bay, 2nd Black Sea and now South Korea.

This one in on the coast of South Korea - a lot of pristine coastline with a lot of wild life and home to oyster and fish farms, a park and now 2.8 million gallons of oil.

The people there rallied - over 6,000 of them, to try to mitigate this disaster. :-/

------

"Thousands of fishermen, soldiers and volunteers struggled Sunday to clean up an oil spill that has caused an environmental disaster in South Korea. It has blackened once-scenic beaches, coated birds and oysters in sludge and driven away tourists with its stomach-churning stench.

But the 7,000 people mobilized were too few to clean up the oil slick, which has been washing up since Saturday along a 12-mile-long shoreline of the nation's west coast. Strong tides, which dragged the sludge out to sea before pushing it ashore again, hampered the cleanup operations by villagers, who complained of headaches and nausea from the stench."

More info:
    Korea oil spill an ecological disaster / Thousands help in cleanup; fish farms, tourism ruined

2. Click Here!

3. Willieo101587

Willieo101587 Flamingo Tongue

Not cool...just another reason why we should be moving away from the use of oil.

How 'bout that electric car you're gonna buy, Matt? It's looking better all the time with the disasters we've been having these past few months.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Yeah, I hope it helps. BUt I am afraid we will be reading about these accidents for a long time. :/