Source of Marine Velvet?

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by dowtish, Oct 17, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

I understand that Amyloodinium is a one-celled organism called a dinoflagellate because it has whip-like structures (flagella) which help it move, but is this introduced to the tank only by an infected fish? Or can it be introduced to the system another way?

2. Click Here!

3. MajesticCoral

MajesticCoral Fire Worm

It was my understanding that it was initially introduced by wild caught fish but is catchable by cbf

I believe the cure is using a copper additive and lowering the salinity of the fish tank as well as giving the infected fish freshwater dips

4. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

I have not introduced a new fish for over 4 months, and yesterday I did, and my kole tang preceded to bully it for a little while, and suddenly I'm noticing spots on the kole tang. Within an hour or 2 he was covered. I am baffled that the fish would be so suddenly susceptible within such a short time. However I'm no fully convinced it is marine velvet as opposed to just plain ich.

5. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

I think the common answer is only via an infected fish and it can only last so long without a host, yada, yada, yada... However, I suspect this is somewhat wrong at least, as over the years I've seen numerous accounts of it popping up out of nowhere. Really I can only speculate though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

That's kinda what I'm thinking. There is no way, if this is marine velvet, that it could have been in on an infected fish for that long and just now pop up.

7. MajesticCoral

MajesticCoral Fire Worm

Yeah it's hard to speculate,can we see a picture?

8. Click Here!

9. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

I'm at work right now, getting nothing done, except gather info on this situation. But I will try to post something later. My camera is not good at capturing an active fish, but I will try.

10. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I'm going to guess your tang just has ich. I believe marine velvet has to be brought in on a fish, or it could be free floating in some water from somewhere else, but that should never be dumped into your tank. I thought I had it in my system a few weeks ago (didn't, thank goodness) so I did some reading, and it appears that if a fish is strong and healthy it can live with marine velvet with no visible symptoms. So then it can be in a tank, but you aren't aware.

11. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

Well, I believe it may be possible that it is just ich, but I have never read that a fish can have velvet and show no signs. Everything I have read says that as soon as it's visible you have about 48 hours til death. But then again this is all speculation and differences of theories, and opinions. so I will continue to research and fight the good fight.

I came home this afternoon to find the kole tang looking much better, so I am starting to dose Herbtana for 10 days and then hooking up a UV sterilizer.....fingers crossed...