soooo I want a bike..

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by irr0001, Apr 11, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

For the past 6 months or so..every couple weeks I've found myself youtubing, craigslisting, etc. bikes and whatnot. A friend of mine has a harley (not sure what model) and he's been trying his hardest to get me to buy one. It's working.

I want something interstate worthy first off. I REALLY like the 883 sportster. I found a bunch in Atlanta for around $4500. (I would like something this style..no crotch rockets for me)

I have never had a bike before and know next to nothing about them. What are some things to look for when buying used? What's considered high mileage? Tell me everything!

Thanks,
    Ivan

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

Oh from the title I thought you wanted a bicycle... I was going to suggest a 3reef fish bike. ;D

1 person likes this.
  4. Broaner

Broaner Feather Duster

I'll say it once loudly; Get something cheap! Everyone lays their first bike down. Maybe you're god and won't mysteriously. If your older that will definitely help having the urge knocked down a bit. I always find myself recomending mid 80's to mid 90's sportsters (883ish) type bikes. Medium revving bikes are easier to learn on IMO. And stay away from skinny front tires; they aren't fun when you get into sh!t.

My first bike was a '84 Honda VT700 Shadow. Light enough and decently powerful to be agile and fun but heavy enough for 100 mile interstate rides. Anything past that got to be unconfortable for me because of my size. No way to stretch out on a true sportster. I bought it for $800. Had it tuned up a bit. Made it through my first full season with it. Then on my second ride in the spring the following year I laid it down on some gravel doing about 20. Dented the tank and took out a turn signal as well as give me the worst knee scrape since 5th grade.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  5. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Have you looked at the Honda Shadows, or the Yamaha V Stars yet? or are you dead set on a Harley? They are pretty comparable but with a much nicer price tag.

1 person likes this.
  6. tooconceited

tooconceited Spaghetti Worm

I agree on the yamaha or honda. Unless you are dead set on a Harley for the fact it's a Harley and American and all that. Take a MSF class. They aren't much $ and you learn a lot. An 883 sportster is ok for starters but if you really like riding you might outgrow it. It's kinda considered a girls harley :p but that's all just image too.
    Bottom line is learn the right way and do plenty of research. I've had 3 different bikes of pretty different styles. Hit me up if you have any questions but I don't know much about your particular area.

1 person likes this.
  7. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

Definitely not planning on spending a lot or getting anything too fancy!

I also really like the shadows..It will probably end up being a toss up between the two.

Not really dead set on anything yet..If I do end up getting one it won't be until late summer after I have some money and am able to just pay cash. There's guys riding around campus on those little vespa style scooters..i'm not real worried about image haha

Thanks everyone

8. Click Here!

9. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

My question is how many money pits can you afford. My other pit is a Jeep. Between the Jeep and the Reef, I'm broke and neither are where I want them.;)

1 person likes this.
  10. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

haha i can honestly say that I'm not going to put a lot into this. The main reason I want one is just so I can have an easy place to park on campus. There is motorcycle parking everywhere. I've toned down on my reef quite a bit to now that it's running good.

11. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Take an MSF course. Wear proper riding gear.

My two tips :)

12. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

There are things to consider when looking for a ride.

For one: I wouldn't let my dog piss on a import so if you want info on those type rides then there are a lot of people on here that could help you.

Two: Your riding style is one determining factor in your bike selection. If your going to stay in the county and ride to the nearest watering hole then a Sportster will do. If you want some thing that is comfortable on the highway and really practical to ride then I would look at a Road King or Heritage Softail. To me a bike needs to accommodate your style of riding. For one, where are you going to keep supplies you need for weather?? Jacket, rain gear, sunglasses, night riding glasses...etc. A bike with saddle bags is a must IMO.

I am loyal to Harley Davidson because of the heritage they have and I am proud to set my a** on one of their machines. Just like the shirt says " IF I HAD TO EXPLAIN, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND"

2 people like this.