son of a gun err Pistol - Total impulse buy today.

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Steve34, Jul 9, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Steve34

Steve34 Feather Star

Sooo... How often do you see pistols once they are in the tank and have a cave dug?

I've seen the goby all day, but have not seen the shrimp at all.

is this normal?

2. Click Here!

3. clarkkey594

clarkkey594 Aiptasia Anemone

That is normal just give them some time to find/dig a burrow that they like and settle into.

4. Steve34

Steve34 Feather Star

I'm lucky that he chose to dig his burrow straight down from the front edge of the tank. I can see into it directly, but cannot see him so I am guessing that they are more expansive underneath than I realize.

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

There will be times when you do not see the shrimp for 3-4 days when molting. You will learn to love this time, because your tank will be nice a clear for that period.

6. starfish2217

starfish2217 Horrid Stonefish

Thats really awesome I plan on getting a pair down the road, they are really cool in tanks, congrats I hope he comes out more so you can enjoy him! haha

7. Steve34

Steve34 Feather Star

That was my next question was wondering how long it can be between sightings so I don't have to worry that it has died somewhere deep in my tank.

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Not usually, shrimp tend to molt right after introduction as well. If you go longer than 5 days I would be concerned.

1 person likes this.
  10. Rulu25

Rulu25 Spaghetti Worm

I never see.my pistol shrimp except at night. They're kinda jerks too (aside from not coming out to play!), I think my rocks are becoming unstable b/c of their digging. Also partly my fault when I moved my tank and didn't get the rocks all the way down to the glass

75 Gal. 90+ lbs. LR. Rebuilding beings in July after devastating ICH outbreak...

Sent from my Tundabolt using Tapatalk

11. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

I had a few rocks settling when I had my pistol and barely ever saw em except for feeding time (sometimes) and if I actively looked for em. On the other hand I heard him everyday usually multiple times except when molting of course.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

12. Steve34

Steve34 Feather Star

Thanks guys. I've not heard it since it's been in the tank, of course I'm about 1/2 deaf but I thought I would have heard it by now. How loud are they and how are away can you typically hear them?