Something's Gone Awry

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by ReefSparky, Sep 4, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

2. Click Here!

3. ReefSparky

I did not. I was unaware there was a seal to be checked. Would this be the rubber O ring (or pair of O rings) atop the membrane cartridge?

Do tell!! :)

4. ReefSparky

Casey--my AC runs 24/7. I keep my place at 70F. It sounds chilly, but I'm in FL where 95% humidity and 95 degrees F are the norm. It's refreshing to come home. The tank never quite "catches up" to the ambient, but never ever rises above 81 or 82F. I'm thinking if heat was the issue, the scenario would have presented itself long ago. You might recall my tank has been thriving since November 07 when I started this journey.

Again, I'm at a loss. As I mentioned, though--I'm going to try a different brand of salt. Geek says IO isn't too great and it's designed for FOWLR. I'm going to buy a ground probe too, although I've tested for and see no stray voltage. Luna thinks I should test for iodine too. Finally, I'm going to replace all components of my RO/DI, minus the membrane.

If all these interventions don't work, I'll be at a complete loss. I will have tried everything to no avail. I will have excersized every option under my control with no variable changing in the least. I could say afterwards that I have tried every possible avenue of desperation and alas, bore no fruit. It will be much like my first marriage. :)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  5. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Hey Sparky, how are the corals doing today? What have you done so far? Please keep us posted, as many of us are anxious to know whats going on with your tank. We have a mystery on our hands here. Luna

6. ReefSparky

Thanks so much!! I've not yet seen any real coralline growth. I have two round masses on my glass in the back, and a few more on the plastic overflow wall. None are more than 1/4" in diameter, but they are coralline.

As I mentioned, I have a refractometer, it's calibrated, and my salinity has been fairly consistent at 1.026.

7. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Hey Sparky,
    I thought of something else too.
    Were the 2 MH 150w on your 55 gal?
    I think maybe since the 90 is a comparatively taller tank than your last tank, maybe you should have been using higher wattage ballasts and bulbs.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. ReefSparky

Hey Bogie. Thanks. But no, I had an Aquactinics 5 bulb T5 fixture on the 55. I switched to MHs after the swap.

1 person likes this.
  10. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

It's still 25 inches tall, so maybe 2 x 400w MH's will be better for that depth?
    I've never had an MH setup, but someone else here with a 24 or 25 inch high tank can tell you what wattage MH's they are using and what's recommended.

1 person likes this.
  11. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Het Sparky, you know that I have a 90 also and I have 2 250w MH's. How are the corals doing today? What have you done so far? Please keep us posted, as many of us are anxious to know whats going on with your tank. We have a mystery on our hands here. Luna

12. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Just a thought:bulb2: Are you using a comm. mag product or mag sulfate?