Something's Gone Awry

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by ReefSparky, Sep 4, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

I still vote for salt change to see if it is the salt.

I was shocked when i came to my conclusion, but stand by it.
    And i believe the manufacturer change has something to do with it.

2. Click Here!

3. botie

botie Feather Duster

well i had the same thing happen to me in the begienning. do what tangster said check the voltage i was loosing a fish a day and some corals. i put my hand in the tank didnt feel anything lfs said still test for voltage my pump for the skimmer 4.9 volts only 3 weeks old. put a 8 dollar ground probe in never lost a fish after that and all the corals colored right back up and grow like crazy

4. botie

botie Feather Duster

i swiched to red sea coral pro salt and man what a diffence the corals are grown so fast i cant give my frags to auqaboy fast enuff lol

5. ptgestimator

ptgestimator Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I am far from even a novice but what about your photo period after upgrading to MH? I know I cooked my corals at first (actually my shrooms withered like yours) when I went from CF to MH. I finally figured out that it was too intense and cut the daytime lights in half and worked my way back up to my normal period. I'm sure you thought of it but hey, no stone left unturned. Good luck brother.

6. wareagle35031

wareagle35031 Bubble Tip Anemone

I was just kidding

7. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

Ditto on this...

You will get it ironed out...have another pizza and get a new ground probe...I know redundant response...
    About a month or two after I started putting livestock into my tank, I had my green brain look all shriveled and hard..eventually found out the motor in the skimmer was going softly...changed the motor and got a ground probe...and have'nt had any issues of that sort...but thats all I can add.
    again..good luck dude.
    LG

8. Click Here!

9. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

I didn't upgrade to MH's. I upgraded from a MH bulb in 10K color temperature to bulbs 14K. My photo period is: actinics on at 8a, halides on at 9a, halides off at 8p, actinics off at 9.

Thanks for the suggestion, ptgestimator. :)

10. ReefSparky

I know, man. :)

11. ReefSparky

Maybe it's time for a ground probe. (And another pizza.)

12. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

how old is your tank? I am almost embarressed to post this but I had a 55g that I bought that I swear had something somewhere wrong with it...I always joked and called it the devil spawn tank.

But no matter what I did I could not keep a fish alive in there period! It was a FOWLR tank and lost literally every single fish...I tested water params and they were perfect. When my tank "crashed" first time I tore down the entire thing, did a freshwater cycle, soaked the LR in FW to kill whatever might have been in the rocks, ran FW in the tank for a couple days to kill whatever was in the sand and filter...then restarted it.

Cycled tank..seeded it, got everything cycled added fish again, and everything went very well for a couple months...then I lost every single fish again within a week...Again, params were perfect..no explanation.

I only had the top of line equipment in there..the LFS guys could not explain it...after 2 total crashes that tank came down and I got rid of it...I would normally put it off as inexperience but I was maintaining a couple of other tanks...both larger and smaller without loosing a single fish!

So maybe the glass or silicone had something on it that has finally leeched out???? Again, far fetched I know...but at this point! I think my problem was stray voltage....

Good luck...I hope you can figure it out soon!