Something's Gone Awry

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by ReefSparky, Sep 4, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Try something, try putting back the old bulbs for a day or two and see if that makes a difference. How old are the old bulbs? Luna

2. Click Here!

3. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Instant Ocean, since the 1980's. :confused::-/

4. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Im stumpped!!! My only recommendation is to do some serious WC's Luna

5. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

I have a lone skunk cleaner shrimp. He's molting every month or so, and getting bigger all the time. I've not seen some of my nassarius snails for a month or two, and I think I might have lost a few ceriths.

6. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

I don't think the light change would make a difference at all, just a different kelvin rating I believe. That shouldn't have an effect on corals, and he said his RO/DI is less than 6 months old. I think you got yours close to the same as mine and I tested mine with 2 different TDS meters and both read 1-2ppm, so I would think you would be good there. I know Kogle found 2 or 3 pennies in his tank, so the copper test kit would be a good idea. Like said before, I'm gonna leave it at that and let the big guns chime in! (I personally would pm Tangster!)

1 person likes this.
  7. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

Okay, why i asked about salt brand.......

I use IO, and it was great for a couple months until i had to buy another bag.......
    Rumor has it they switched manufacturers or something like that, and i think there may have been something in there that made my tank hit a steep downfall.

My GSP's died, MY XENIA DIED, Frogspawn, hammer, and colt coral all died.

My zoas shrunk like turds.
    Well, after i ran out of that salt, i went to petco to buy salt and scored a 20 bucks for a 50 gallon tub of Red Sea salt deal.

Did a 30 gallon water change and when i tell you every single one of the brown shrooms sent to me from Reef_Guru has split within 2 weeks of the water change and doubled size.
    Maybe i got a bad batch, but ive lost my confidence in IO salt.
    Everyone in a reef club whose forums i browse for good deals and frags :p uses RS.

So in short, what brand of salt are you using and when did you buy a new box/bag/bucket last?

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Get your VOM out and test for voltage thats what it looks to be maybe a leaking power head or pump .. I have seen Ground probe to have a broken conductor in the shielding May want to run a polymer to grab any free metals like cupisorb or the Kents metal spong . A I have seen R/O blow a fether seal and bad water get right pass and depending on city I have seen lead and zink to get past the membranes many time..Might want to check that also ?Or has there been anyone there working or visiting ? I have seen many people being funny toss coins in a tank. Just some areas to think about. Lights would not do what I see.

10. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Have you checked your Iodine? when shrimps molt alot, usually means theres alot of iodine. Luna

11. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Very nice responce aqua, I didn't know you went through that! Sorry to hear it!

He may be onto something here Sparky... it might be worth it to buy another brand of salt and try, worse situation would be that you would have some extra salt around:)

12. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

Yeah, it sucked......but now everything is doing awesome!

Especially those from botie :p my frag hookup :p
    And i guess its good that i like brown shrooms :eek:!