Something's Gone Awry

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by ReefSparky, Sep 4, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

If your sand is deep enough to develop anoxic zones, there are accumulations of nasty stuff in it that shouldn't be exposed to the water. My sand from my 55 wasn't more than 2" deep, but I suppose anything's possible. You've been reading this thread, Luna--so you know almost exactly what's been done. Addmitedly, I'm grabbing at straws at this point.

As for the return pump leaking, I'm not sure what you're getting at there.

And analyzing water for what? I use RO/DI water. The TDS is 0. What could be in it? :-/

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

When I suggested to analyze the water I didnt mean the R/O water. I meant your SW thats in your tank. Something could have been in the salt mix thats cuasing this issue. Some pumps use oils to keep them lubricated inside. Luna

BTW, if my sand reaches 2" thats to much.

4. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

check your refractometer against your lfs just in case.high ph will stunt them.the only xenia i ever saw die was my lfs changed from instant ocean to reef crystals in their xenia only tank and lost every single one of them.like 100 of them.

5. ReefSparky

Thanks for the reply, Luna. To have water analyzed, I'd think you need to tell the company what you'd like to know. I've already tested for all the parameters we reefers find important. What else might I be interested in knowing? Also, if there was oil leaking from a pump or motor, I'd see a residue on the water's surface, and I'd think the problem would be much worse than it is. The fish are very happy. The banggai's are pregnant. The corals are just hating life. :confused:

Hey Ziggy! Haven't seen you in awhile. My refractometer is fine. I calibrate it with distilled or RO water, and it's right on the money. Always has been.

6. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

You could also have a coral warfare going on which would release all kinds of toxins in the water, which would come up on a water analysis. I can only imagine how much that would cost, but I would be able to sleep at night alot better knowing it wasnt me who screwed things up. Just a thought. Luna

1 person likes this.
  7. ReefSparky

Would it not be safe to assume that if I had coral warfare, that anyone else with the same mix of corals would have the same problem?

Heck, I have a hammer, a frogspawn, zoas that haven't died yet, but haven't opened in a month or more, a yellow polyp that's not dead, but working on it, a GSP that's alive, but hasn't opened for 14 days or more. The euphyllia's are away from the others.

I could be wrong, but don't think I own any corals that are particularly known for letting out toxins.

I don't know, Luna. I'm out of theories. :confused:

8. Click Here!

9. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Do you keep mangroves in your refugium? If so, do you "trim" the excess leaves or pick them up when they fall? As I stated before, a water analysis would tell you whats in your water. Luna

10. ReefSparky

No mangroves. Just chaeto and some caulerpa.

1 person likes this.
  11. 1st time

1st time Purple Spiny Lobster

Sparky, I have wanted to share what happened to me but didn't know where to put it. I had a little incident with coral warfare 2 weeks ago--1st my frogspawn was getting brown and shrinking on some of its' tentacles. I decided to wait and see what was going to happen. While I was reading I saw that mushrooms and frogspawn don't get along. I had moved a mushroom rock about 8" away and the mushrooms didn't look to good either. I moved them [the mushrooms] back to the other side of the tank. Within 1 day both looked better and in 2 they were fine. I also had a stony plop close and turn white, the last time this happened , I had added my one and only zoa. Well I had moved it and the clown wanted to sleep with it, this must of irritated the zoa and he gave off his slime witch turned the plop white. I moved the zoa and my plop is almost right again.

12. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Funny, my corals are loving life but I've had trouble with my fish. Maybe once you find the answer I will do exactly the opposite and we will both have completely happy tanks!;D;D