Somethings eating my Zoo's

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by YellowBelly, Aug 6, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. YellowBelly

YellowBelly Teardrop Maxima Clam

I think something is eating my Blue/Yellow zoanthid. This and my Supercolored Orange Zoo's are my only zoo colonies that are slowly losing polyps. I tried looking around the tank but could not find any detached polyps. I tried looking for the Sun Dial snail but had no luck finding one. I could only find about 5 what I think are pyramid snails about 2.5mm long in white shells (I found these at night). I looked online and found that they eat Tridacna Clam's. I use to have a 2" Blue Maxima until my Orange Spotted Hermit crab decided he needed something new to eat and ripped the flesh out of the clam shell. I never saw these snails bother my Maxima clam but I have seen them attached to my Astrea snails. I know they're not baby Astrea snails because the shells look more like a cerith snail and I don't have any cerith snails in the tank. I'll try to get a picture up.

[​IMG]
    It looks like the snail on the right.

If this snail does eat Clam's wouldn't it starve since I no longer have a clam? My clam died in February (Almost 6 months ago).

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. YellowBelly

4. YellowBelly

5. IBMGeek

IBMGeek Montipora Digitata

I briefly went over that article and it seems they eat things with blood (they suck on it)but not sure. Check for polyps that are closed for no apparent reason, you may have nudibranches, or spiders.

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

That would be my guess over snails.

7. msbdiving

msbdiving Astrea Snail

I had a few hitch hiking polyps on my live rock when I first got it. Unfortunately, I also found a circular spiral shelled snail that I found out was eating them. I didn't figure it out until too late. The shell had green strips I believe. I got rid of it too quick to take too many notes, sorry.

8. Click Here!

9. Maudsley

Maudsley Astrea Snail

If you want to make sure your zoo's are free from pests...mix 1 gal RO water....get the temp up to your tank temp...add two drops of Lugols and get your ph equal to your tank water, this is a freshwater dip, put your zoo's in the water for 5 minutes, use a white bucket so you can see what comes out of the zoo colony. After the 5 minutes, turn the rock upside down and swhish it back and forth for a minute, this is where all the dead stuff will come out of the rock, after that put the colony back in your tank and only run actinics for the day. I had a decining colony and in another forum I found this freshwater dip method, I had zoo eating nudibranches in my colony...killed them all and the zoo's are fine now.

10. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

There is no way to for sure to get corals pest free. Dipping doesnt get everything. My tank problems are a testiment that, and I dipped 5drops lugols per gallon. Lugols and other dips do not kill eggs.

11. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

[​IMG]

"The Sixline wrasse is a natural predator of pyram snails, which can be added to a reef aquarium in order to help get rid of the parasites."
    ReefKeeping

Just one more reason to get a Sixline!

"I love my sixline"

12. Maudsley

Maudsley Astrea Snail

Yes,
    You are right about never getting rid of all the pests, but you also need to be carefull with a sixline. Mine likes to kill shrimps and inverts, along with all the other bad stuff. For a 15-20 dollar fish it can definately keep you spending money on cleanup crews and such. But a freshwater dip will take care of the pests on the zoo's for the moment, it's better than letting them get eaten and a freshwater dip will not kill your zoo's