Something wrong with my Duncan

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by xREEFINaintEZx, Sep 26, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. xREEFINaintEZx

xREEFINaintEZx Plankton

Hey guys, was on another forum and people were telling me this is brown jelly disease. What do you all think?

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. xREEFINaintEZx

xREEFINaintEZx Plankton

stats
    pH-8-8.2
    ammonia-0
    nitrite-0
    niTRATE-20 (in the last month)
    phos-0.5
    calcium-350
    mag-unknown
    alk-9
    rescued tank 8 month ago, 75 gallon.20 gallon sump, basic skimmer, running activated carbon nitrate and phos sponge.
    this is what it she normally looks like

Attached Files:

4. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

Did it came with the rescue 8 months ago or is it a "new addition"?......though duncans are considered to be on the more forgiving side of the "hardy spectrum", prolonged exposure to high nitrates and phosphates will have the same effects on them as they would on other more delicate species in my experience.... is this the only LPS or SPS you have in your tank? do you have another stony corals, be it sps or lps, to compare it too? chances are if other stony coral colonies are showing signs of unhappiness, and assuming your test results are not misreadings, then i would point the finger at nitrates and phosphates.....

your calcium is also a little low as well and you would really need to know your Mag level to be "on top of things".... when was the last water change and what %?

some will argue that 20ppm No3 is still acceptable, I personally think otherwise.....

20ppm are "fine" for fish only and soft corals but as soon as you start playing with stony corals the scale drops right down.....0-5 ppm MAX for SPS/LPS in my book....

Po4 should be around 0.01 to 0.05 MAX

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    DSC reef likes this.
  5. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I dont think its brown jelly but a dip in iodine wont hurt. The entire colony is looking stressed so I'd lean on a chemistry issue. I'd like to know the magnesium result and what test kits your using. Whats the salinity? I really dont think it's damage is nitrate related. Possible predator in the tank as well, what fish are in the tank?

Lovemyreef2015 likes this.
  6. xREEFINaintEZx

xREEFINaintEZx Plankton

Sorry guys and gals, was my first post and took a few days to get "ok'ed"... She's doing better.

Attached Files: