Something spreading on Candy cane

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by QTYPIE424, Dec 4, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. QTYPIE424

QTYPIE424 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Ever since I got my candy cane which was like 4 months ago it had a small amount of this like white circle shape stuff on it and now it has spread all the way up the stalk. It is very close to the flower now and was just wondering if anyone could explain to me what is going on with this. Here is a pic, hope you can see it ok..
    Q

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Picture's not helping me any :(

4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Ditto, can't see it very well! See if you can get a beter and closer picture!!

5. mushroom_man

mushroom_man Bubble Tip Anemone

miami,right near da beach BOYE!, FL,Florida
    i have white and yellow stuff on mine and all it is is sponges. i cant tell from the pic but i dont mind the sponges on mine at all. it looks real good.

if it is stopping your coral from opening then i would take it off.

6. QTYPIE424

I didnt figure that pic was very good. Try this one!

[​IMG]

7. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

Remove asap.......

R E M O V E it ASAP!!!!! A small petstore i used to work at had a similar outbreak in 99'. Ended up encrusting all LPS skeletons and working thier way to the edge of the flesh. I didnt see any probs at fisrt, then in less than a year it took over a 200 gallon flat in about 1 week. The pattern of concenrtric barnicle like circles that maze out from bottom to top seem to be an encrusting parasitic organism rather than a colony of smaller individuals. notice the prominant walls that encircle the triangular ones....all made of the same material. Maybe someone here can id it. I would not listen to anyone who parrots a google phrase or pic. This crud scrapped a 200 gallon frag tank. QT it, 86 it, or ship it to me as i would be very interested in documenting it. PM me on the latter offer. Hope you find info before it reproduces in the water column.

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

That is one of the freakiest things I've heard of in this hobby. First time I've ever seen anything like it!!

10. mushroom_man

mushroom_man Bubble Tip Anemone

miami,right near da beach BOYE!, FL,Florida
    wow!!! what the heck is that! does anyone have a spec. name for that? and how fast does it spread?

11. QTYPIE424

Well I put the coral in my nano tank for now since I dont have anything else in that tank but what else can I do? Take it back to the store I bought it from or try to cut the stuff off?

12. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

I would get rid of it, or keep in a qt tank you dint mind losing. I just sent you pm.