something is wrong with my water params and i need help.

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Gexx, Dec 23, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

i am having some issues with my water params and was wondering how all of this breaks down. my problem is in the pics

PROBLEM
    The problem is in the pictures. i have taken a pic of all my test kits and what they say are the readings. my lfs uses test strips so i dont trust them. the bar code which can determine the expiration date reads RM000043-01-1207.
    None of my fish nor corals are acting up in any way. My frogspawn actually now has two mouths. Nothing has died in my tank yet.

FILTRATION
    i have a penguin 350 filter on my 29 gallon tank. i have 25 lbs of live rock in my aquarium. i dont use carbon, rather i use chaeto in my filter with a light over it. i also have Mangroves that are now rooting out.

CLEANUP CREW
    My cleanup crew is one that Reefcleaners said would be right for me(very confident this is not the problem.). I also have a brittle starfish and an emerald crab to help with detritus.

INHABITANTS
    I currently have two clownfish and a lawnmower blenny as my fish.

i just cant figure out why i have bad params. i feed small portions every day. (i mean small too. like a pinch of flake)​

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. robwerden

robwerden Feather Duster

You need to do a 50% water change like yesterday. When was your last change?

4. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

i dont do them. its weird to me though that all my fish and corals are fine and that my water params are bad. do you think it could be my test kits?

5. robwerden

robwerden Feather Duster

Water changes are essential to a healthy reef. You should be doing them regularly. I think you should trust the test kit and do a water change.

1 person likes this.
  6. RustyShakleford

RustyShakleford Feather Duster

i would have to agree K+

7. skiergd011013

skiergd011013 Peppermint Shrimp

no water changes? that would explain the poor water quality. fish naturally hide any signs of ill health etc as long as possible so they may seem fine in bad water but could be getting sick.

8. Click Here!

9. robwerden

robwerden Feather Duster

I do a 10% water change every 2 weeks and my whole tank looks better than when I was doing them every 2 months.
    My tank is 215 gallons so it takes a half day to make 20 gallons of rodi and mix it.
    The 29 gallon tank you have should only take 10 min to make and the actual change out only takes 5 min.
    I spend more time cleaning the glass. The water change eliminates having to add supplements with the exception of calcium. You replenish all your trace elements and remove toxins that have built up. a 50% change will eliminate 50% of the nitrates and ammonia you have and take the stress out of the live stock.

10. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

ok just did a 10% water change thats all the water i had. ill test again and put pics up of that.

1 person likes this.
  11. robwerden

robwerden Feather Duster

12. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

i dont have enough water to do a 50% water change. i only have 1, 5gal bucket. and no RO maker. i have to go to the store to get it.