Unresolved Something is moving on my Turbo Snail!!!

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by stauchistory, Sep 18, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. stauchistory

stauchistory Feather Duster

Ever since I added chaeto to my tank I've been examining things inside it with magnifying glasses and loupes of varying magnifications. Tonight I was examining my Turbo Snail and saw 2 VERY weird things on it. Can someone tell me what they are?

First I saw what looked like tentacles coming out of the back of the snail's shell. There were 2 of them, approx. 1/4" long. These move all around like they are looking for food. These would retract at times and then reappear. I even saw them pick up a tiny piece of chaeto that was near it. Here is a picture of this unknown creature:

[​IMG]

Next I saw on the shell what I believe is some type of anemone. This appears to be approx 1/16 - 1/8" high, and is shown below:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. yamaharider73

yamaharider73 Kole Tang

They appear to be some type of worms to me. Maybe a type of christmas tree and maybe a spaghetti?

4. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

That's on your turbo snail? How can you zoom that far in?? lol :confused:

5. stauchistory

At first I thought that but they seem to work together, especially when they picked up that piece of chaeto. They also both retreat into the shell together as well. If you can note from the pic there is something at the base of them as well. My photos are only so good, but I can see more detail with the magnifiers I'm using.

The "tentacles" also seem to have varying color. As you go from the snail shell out to the tip, they will be light, dark, light, dark, etc.

6. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Did you just take the shot..then zoom in on the image on the computer?Then uploaded the zoomed in version?

7. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I have these guys on my snails too. They're filter feeders; nothing to worry about.

8. Click Here!

9. blackraven1425

I would guess so, because of the artifacts.

10. stauchistory

The snail was "napping" right in the corner of my tank, so I used the macro setting of my camera and could basically have it resting right against the glass. I had it set for 6 mega-pixels, so when I opened it in Photoshop fullsize, all I had to do was crop it. I didn't blow it up while editing.

11. stauchistory

Any idea what they are called?

How about the tree-looking one? I have foraminiferans on some rocks and this appears similar.

I tend to be analytical about petty things like this and won't be happy until I know. ;D

12. blackraven1425

I have no idea. The snail they're on is gigantic, so I figured "Eh, at some point something was going to colonize its shell".