something extra!

Discussion in 'Clams' started by Reefkeeper, Apr 22, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Reefkeeper

Reefkeeper Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I picked up a couple of lr's the other day and last night was looking in some of the openings and saw a sm. brown claim which was still alive. It's only about a 1/2 long no idea what kind. On the other piece of rock there was a 1/2 dk. blue mussel that looks cool. Q. Do most of the claims and mussels need strong lights to live? One more Q.I have read about how the flame scallop will die after a short time[I wouldn't have got it if I knew that , my falt for not reseaching it first.] Do you think by running PS and UVs have anything to do with removeing from the water what they may need to live?I've been feeding it b-shrimp/MarineSnow, just wanted to hear what you think.

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Clams and mussels dont need light, they are filter feeders. The flame scallop needs to be target feed if you want it to live long, most die in a couple of months b/c ppl dont know how to take care of it.

4. Reefkeeper

luna,
    Thanks,what do you think about feeding the MarineSnow do you know much about it? or know something better? ,would really like to keep it alive!

5. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I have used MS before and think its good. Right now Im trying something new called, Dr. G's Marine Aquaculture, Inc. Its live phytoplankton. I just started using it so I cant give a review. Read up on the flame scallop and its needs.

6. jtshack

jtshack Plankton

I've had my flame scallop for almost a year now and he's still doing great. I've never target fed him, but I do feed multiple times a day. I run a skimmer and UV sterilizer, but I have to assume that he's getting what he needs from the multiple feedings (I change it up throughout the day - flakes one time, pellets the next time, frozen the next, etc...). I'm not implying that you shouldn't target feed yours because it could be a case of me being one lucky gal that mine has made it this long DESPITE me not target feeding it.

Good luck! :)

1 person likes this.
  7. Reefkeeper

Hey, that's great to hear that you've had your FS that long!! thanks for the Info!!