Some people make me mad/I got a koi

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by Urban_s, Aug 27, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Urban_s

Urban_s Sea Dragon

I was over at my friends house talking to his mom. And they asked me if I would be intrested in a koi and some gold fish that her sister had and did not want anymore. I said sure why not(since my girlfriend has officaly "Givin the basement to you for all your dam fish stuff"). So I get the directions and go over their thinking just a couple of small comets and a 3-4'' koi. I walk in and their is what looks like a 15gal bow front that has somuch alge that you can not even see through it literaly. I open the lid and their is a 17'' koi and 1 8'' comet and a 8'' Shubunkin. The poor guys could not even turn around. I fet so bad. I brought them home and put them in a 40 breeder($40 at petco woot sale last week) with a bio wheel 350 that has been established for a couple months with a few goldfish. Right now I feel so bad that they are in that small tank. On tuesday I am going to get them a 250gallon stock tank for my basement until next spring. It just makes me mad that people would do that to fish. I was gunna get order some live rock for my 75 but I think I will order a nice canister pond filter instead. Freshwater scares me also. I can't keep anything alive it seems like. I kill guppies.
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

that is terible!!! im not into keeping goldfish, but that would make me bring some home too. i know a few people that have ponds that would take then off my hands. i dont see how you can thank" oh cool kio colored carp, they are only 2 inches now so they will be ok". they are carp, they get feet long not inches, ha ha. well good luck with the goldfish

birchell

4. Monacle

Monacle Skunk Shrimp

karma to you for being a good guy to give a better home to those fish. Whatever their life is like however not preferable, it sounds like its a thousand times better than what they had. Now, you'll have to build yourself a nice backyard pond? lol GL2Y

GLTA

5. jonathan

jonathan Aiptasia Anemone

nice job jerome, karma for your good intentions.....

6. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

That's pretty funny. My inlaws are Korean. My mother in law's boss gave her about 6 Koi a couple years ago thinking she would like them. She didn't want to insult him so she accepted. It's the face thing... They bought a 30g acrylic with a little filter and put them in. she thought that if kept in a small tank they would stay the size of large golffish. They moved out by us and in helping them pack I saw the beasts. :eek:

I recently cycled out a 72 bowfront and was getting ready to sell it. I felt bad for the Koi and it's now the new home of 6 7 to 10" Koi. I also tossed in some old lights and hot magnum with a biowheel. I may also throw in a Rainbow Lifeguard fluidized bed 600 once I have the chance to clean it up. This was a better cause.

Karma to you. ;D

7. Urban_s

Urban_s Sea Dragon

I found a 100 gallon rubbermaid tub this morning. So they will be going in their tonight. I am debaiting on a 250gallon inflatable pool or build a 500 or 1000gallon plywood box and line it for an indoor koi pond. Throw some hps lights and a few lotus's on their blam.

8. Click Here!

9. Monacle

Monacle Skunk Shrimp

I've always wanted to do an indoor pond. I have seen one at a supply house I go to, it is basically cinder blocks for your frame and then pond liner, and then you put the little sculpted blocks on top to hold the liner in place and it looks nice. As soon as some decent money rolls in, I think I'll do that, but I was thinking about doing an indoor saltwater pond. What do you think?

10. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

My LFS guy has one in his store. He has some sharks and rays in it. It looks pretty easy as long as you are on a concrete slab. He made a triangle in a corner and it is very shallow. I'm guessing it's 15" deep and its about 600 gal.

I'd be concerned about the humidity that much surface area will create in the house. Make sure you have a good dehumidifier running. I needed to add one in my basement for my big sump. It is pulling 2 to 5 gallons of water a day out of the air.

11. Urban_s

Urban_s Sea Dragon

I am thinking a 5*5*24. Nothing too big. I already have down their. I will have to invite the everyone that can see my basement windows over again. Blah When people see a orange glow in a basement it tends to make people think I grow things.

12. syddakyd

syddakyd Plankton

or you can keep the 2 goldfish in the 40 breeder they will be fine there and find a home for the koi. someone with a large koi pond