some leds are burnt?

Discussion in 'RapidLED' started by kurens, Sep 26, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kurens

kurens Astrea Snail

hey guys,got 48 cree led from you guys 24 whites and 24 blues.
    i noticed today that that on my right heatsink 3 whites ones doesnt light and another 2 on left heatsink,rest of whites in string are on.
    are they burnt?
    thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Rapid LED

Rapid LED 3reef Sponsor

Hello,
    Typically if an LED is "burnt" or dead then the entire string will not light up (if wired in series). If the rest of the string is lighting up but a few of them aren't then that is typically indicative of grounding, which occurs most often when there is too much solder being used and the solder spills off onto the pcb (as opposed to being solely on the solder pad), if there is exposed wire touching the star pcb, or if you have a screw touching the solder pad (if using a drilled/tapped heatsink).

If you can email me ([email protected] or [email protected]) a few close-up pictures I'll try to see if I can identify any of those issues.

Thanks,
    Mike

4. ailachami

ailachami Plankton

anyway to save the led or must be replaced?

5. Rapid LED

Rapid LED 3reef Sponsor

If they're burned out (black dots on the LED chip, or the string won't light with them in it) then they'll need to be replaced.

If they're grounded (the string still lights with them wired in), they may still be saved.