Some help with my Acans PLEASE.

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by jonathan9573, Nov 29, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jonathan9573

jonathan9573 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Well I have been trying my hand with some acans and i am not doing so well with them. Im hoping to maybe get some insite as to what could be going wrong. About 4 months ago I got a 2 head acan that was doing good until i had a incident with my tank that has been corrected and it closed up which has never opened back up but has not totally dies either. Well about 1 month ago i bought two colonies with 10 or so heads and one has shriveled up and will not "inflate" like it was when i first got it. The other is still open but doesnt seem to be as puffed up as it was when i got it.

Calcium is 430 (red sea)
    Alk is 8.4 (red sea)
    Mag is 1390 (red sea)
    Temp is 79.4 (apex controller)
    phosphate is .02 (hanna)

Lighting DIY leds 48 total leds. Rapid LED build running of my apex. On from 430 to 1200. 60 min ramp up and ramp down.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Acans can be very tricky. I've had some sprout heads like crazy then die off in a few days. Flow, lighting and feeding are detrimental to growth and color. My params are always stable but sometimes some don't make it. Be patient as I've had colonies look deflated for weeks then look great overnight and stayed that way. Spot feeding has been something I believe that is very important. Good luck my friend.