some advice please !

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by boston29, Nov 28, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. boston29

boston29 Astrea Snail

my question is simple i lost my 2 pairs of clowns about a month ago to ick it really stunk on the bright side it did not get my lawnmower blenny,green wrasse ,or my sand sifting gobys .all has been good and was thinking should i try with some clowns again ? or are they going to get the ick ??? all water perimeters are spot on ! i have lost a total of 7 clowns since i started and my frustration level is high especially considering its the only fish i have had no luck with !!!!!!!!!

2. Click Here!

3. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Look into Marine-Max by Tropical Science and start on it promptly.

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Marine Ich is going to exist in your system as long as there are fish for the parasite to feed off. Every time you introduce a new clownfish it may experience a certain level of stress related to the acclimation lowering the immunity of the new fish and allowing the Marine Ich to take hold.
    Clownfish and tangs seem more suseptable to Maine Ich.
    Having good water parameter will decrease that stress to fish but has no effect on the parasite.
    My suggestion get a older clownfish, feed it food soaked in selcon and either hope for the best or set up a QT allow it to cycle and then proceed to treat all existing fish with hyposalinity and allow the display tank to remain without fish for at least 60 days.

5. boston29

boston29 Astrea Snail

thanks ! i have been offered 2 2.5 in clowns from a friend he is getting out of the hobby ive been to scared to except , i was told their is allso a fish that eats ick ? that was his suggestion to me ! any one herd of them ?????

6. Corailline

They are trying to sell you a cleaner wrasse. No fish eats Marine Ich. Cleaner warsse will pick at a fish with ich but that is far from a effective treatment.

7. boston29

boston29 Astrea Snail

ahhhh thought so !

8. Click Here!

9. nicodim55

nicodim55 Coral Banded Shrimp

I used Herbtana by microbelift when I had the ich outbreak and it works.

10. Corailline

11. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Never heard of that product, for a preventative measure I reassert; "Look into Marine-Max by Tropical Science."