Resolved ( solved)fish in buckets, tank not ready.. what to do???

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by elweshomayor, Mar 24, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

ok so here is the thing.. i have all my fish in 5 different buckets...
    i have one air pump that has two hoses and i change them every 30 minutes but keep it where i have more fish longer..

temperatures are 65-68 in all buckets.. i took the heater from my 29g and decided to heat up the lowest and go from there.. i also have an air conditioner throwing hot air at the buckets so they wont get colder.

tank is not ready to get the fish in.. its all cloudy and the rocks are there but not fixed.. just thrown.. salinity tested 1.019... but water was extremely cold and i tested with hydrometer.. so i suppose its higher because 75% of the water was saved from the move and it tested 1.024.

i ran out of salt :(... so i have to make a trip to the LFS tomorrow at 10am.. when they open and get more and do all i need..

idk what else to do as of now.. any one has any sugestions?

( i got the airpump to be 2 way because the guy actually gave it to me. i didnt have one at first so im so grateful, he stayed till the tank was up and running but the water is still so cold and dusty and salinity is unknown.. its close to where its supposed to be im sure but idk exactly... this didnt came up as planned)...

right now my salifin is on his side, im assuming thats normal? should i be worried?... im sleeping on the couch so i can change the air pumps and check the temp..

like i said.. idk what else to do.. any suggestions?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. saltyfresh

saltyfresh Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

man that is ruff do you have a old tank that you can put all the fish in with one heater and the air pumps all in that onw?

4. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

not a big enough tank... ive decided,thanks to curt, to just float containers with hot water on them and just switch the hoses periodically in the buckets.. i hope that does the trick

5. seabass1

seabass1 Montipora Digitata

Hey Wes, cant you get one of those cheap 30g tubs with those heavy rope handles? They cost about 8 bucks at Lowes. They're used mostly to cool beverages at parties and stuff. Know anyone with a large icechest? those work good too.

Sorry I couldn't help more. Good Luck!!

1 person likes this.
  6. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

do you have a bath at your home or just a shower?

if you have a bath, fill that up with water at about 75 and then place the buckets in the bath tub

you can then occasionally pull the plug and add more hot water (avoiding the buckets with fish in)

1 person likes this.
  7. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

Steve … every post you have an ingenious solution – I am going to nickname you MacGyver.

Crappy situation you are in, I am certain you got very little to no sleep last night. Hopefully the tank has settled and warmed up this evening. I think you did just about everything you could if all you had to work with were buckets. I commend the efforts – good job.

Your salfin is stressed, this is why he is on his side. When you walk near the buckets try to tread lightly as to not cause more stress. Looking forward to your update later today. Good luck !!

8. Click Here!

9. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

wow man.. that sounds like worst case scenario.. Steve.. BRILLIANT!!!!!

10. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

great idea!!!!

11. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

haha curt stole your thunder xD he adviced me to do that but since it was so late at night, i would of made too much noise..

so what i did was i took some bottles, filled them up with hot water and just float them into the buckets.

1 person likes this.
  12. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

I agree seabass, either get one of those buckets or a garbage can and put them all together in the same can, that way you only need one heater and one airline. Plus with a bigger volume of water the temperature will not drop as fast. and you can even put that in the bath tub and help keep it warm.

I would also not add any salt to the tank till you get it warmed up quite a bit. once you get it warmer check it then add if needed. i would also invest in a spare heater, you never know when your going to need it.