Solatube Display at OC Fair

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Matt Rogers, Aug 12, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Using Solatubes over reef aquariums has interested me for years. These unique dome lens capture light from your roof and channel it down through highly reflective tubing into your home. Recently I braved the deep-fried waters of the legendary OC Fair in Costa Mesa, California and actually came across a Solatube product display. I noted some lens options I don't recall seeing before such as the OptiView Diffuser which "delivers a crystal clear daylight" as well as a view of the sky. Check out the pics - including an amazing reef tank - and latest brochure below.

[​IMG]
    The latest from Solatube Lighting

[​IMG]
    Matt vs. Deep-fried chocolate-covered bacon on a stick with powdered sugar at OC Fair.

I told the Solatube rep that I always wanted to use them over an aquarium, the rep responded "Why would you do that? They block UV light." I was floored by this response. I did not expect such a quick and astute answer. To my knowledge UV has only begun to be discussed in our hobby with the LED craze as of late. This Solatube rep obviously knows a bit about lighting. Perhaps the UV block depends on the lens you choose as I have seen nice reef tanks using them or it is added by supplemental lighting.

An amazing reef tank with Solatubes first posted by 3reef sponsor Reef-A-Holic:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More on 3reef:
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/reef-lighting/solar-tubes-action-39352.html
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/reef-lighting/rreef-tank-solatube-skylight-112441.html
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/3reef-radar/sunlight-back-78534.html

Solatube Web site:
    Solatube Daylighting System and Tubular Daylighting Devices for residential or commercial daylighting and sunlighting needs are the smart, green and environmentally friendly alternative to traditional skylights

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

Nice! They look much more sleek.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Indeed - check out the brochures I just attached... sorry for the creases in the scan... I think I was crippled over from the bacon.

matt

5. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

I've always been interested in these tubes too. Maybe someday with an aquarium big enough to justify.

CHOCOLATE COVERED DEEP FRIED BACON![​IMG]

You know that idea came from someone's need to cure the "munchies" ;)

6. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

Cool!
    And LOL that bacon must have still tasted good even though it sounds kind of odd.

7. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

I don't understand all this UV talk. Double ended halide bulbs need a piece of glass over it to block UV so there shouldn't be any hitting the water right? And single ended halides don't emit the UV and don't need a UV shield right?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Hey you gotta good point there!

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I have to know...did you finish the bacon?

11. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Yeah, I don't know about the uv thing. Some people think uv improves coloration and may even be beneficial. However, in the scientific literature, most references to uv and coloration or coral health, is in regards to bleaching and decreased growth rates. As far as I'm aware UV is strong predictor of bleaching, and shown to slow, not enhance growth. There can be pigmentation in response to UV, however, these, such as mycosporine like amino acids, as far as I'm aware are not colorful, more clear...

I can't look at the bacon pics, it's sends a chill down my spine thinking about it ;D. The sola-tubes look sweet though :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

A little over a year ago I burned the heck out of some corals with a new bulb - this is when I found out my halide fixture at the time did not have UV protected glass but regular glass. :p I take from this and the current UV talk that it is the amount of UV ... obviously there is a threshold... but malac0da13's point still stands as it shows to me that you don't need it?

I did. Rather quickly. :)
    It was disturbing but I liked it. Mild chest pain insued. Nothing compared to the peanut butter cheeseburger I ate in New Orleans though.

matt